Domino damsel turning pale

ImFryd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a maroon clown and a yellow dotty in this tank for close to a month if not longer, the damsel was in the tank for maybe 2 weeks, only thing that has changed was the addition of a red sponge, it seems like the dotty is turning pale like the damsel did. I don't know what is happening all of the sudden. Magnesium and calcium are a bit high but nothing that is worrysome

IMG_2230.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Picture of fish in a net and same color as fish will make it difficult to make a determination
Pale can mean several things such as:
Aggression
-Water quality (ammonia, temp, -salt level and even flukes)
Old age
Low oxygen

Things to check

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a maroon clown and a yellow dotty in this tank for close to a month if not longer, the damsel was in the tank for maybe 2 weeks, only thing that has changed was the addition of a red sponge, it seems like the dotty is turning pale like the damsel did. I don't know what is happening all of the sudden. Magnesium and calcium are a bit high but nothing that is worrysome

IMG_2230.jpg

Hi, we need more information, as well as some clear video under white lights.

Are the fish showing any other symptoms?
Are they still eating?

This post explains all that:

Jay

OP
OP
ImFryd

ImFryd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we need more information, as well as some clear video under white lights.

Are the fish showing any other symptoms?
Are they still eating?

This post explains all that:

Jay
woke up to him laying in the sand with heavy breathing. He was eating fine earlier in the day, he was gone before I could even do a FW dip. If any of the fish start acting or showing signs ill grab a video to help better but i will try so i can hopefully save the dotty

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woke up to him laying in the sand with heavy breathing. He was eating fine earlier in the day, he was gone before I could even do a FW dip. If any of the fish start acting or showing signs ill grab a video to help better but i will try so i can hopefully save the dotty

Are there corals and other invertebrates in the tank? If so, and if they are all doing well, you can pretty much conclude that this is a protozoan fish disease.

Jay

OP
OP
ImFryd

ImFryd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there corals and other invertebrates in the tank? If so, and if they are all doing well, you can pretty much conclude that this is a protozoan fish disease.

Jay
No coral but yes inverts in the tank, after fw dipping my yellow dotty this came out not really sure what it is but nothing else of concern came out, the white is just sand
IMG_2233.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No coral but yes inverts in the tank, after fw dipping my yellow dotty this came out not really sure what it is but nothing else of concern came out, the white is just sand
IMG_2233.jpg

That's a bolus of feces. Fish often release feces when given a FW dip. Now, if you had a microscope, looking at that with it might tell you if there is a protozoan in the fish's gut.

jay

OP
OP
ImFryd

ImFryd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after getting my water tested at my LFS everything came back normal except for my magnesium which was at 2100, I mix my own salt using purple instant ocean, thats about all that seemed off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back