Don’t buy Radion XR15G6 if you want sps to grow

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New G6 XR15 Pro here coming from G3 XR30 Pro. These are supplements with T5 Hybrid as my main light. As supplements, they do what they need with the spread lighting more areas when the T5s are off outside of the peak photo periods.

I did immediately notice the lower Par numbers and went down a research mode stumbling on this discussion. Good read for sure being able to see other points of view. My personal take away here is not to pack my G6s and let them play out over time. Maybe newer spectrum or simply newer diodes will be the little boosters to the tank. Nothing wrong with all of this to begin with. Just getting ahead of aging G3s with a good deal on the “upgrades”. I can’t believe G3s lasted this long and still producing quality light.

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I went with halides. LED in my opinion, is SUPPLEMENTAL ONLY unless you’re loaded and willing to buy 4 fixtures at 2000 each to get the same effect as 1 halide.
I currently have 2 15g6 lights and 4 Aquaticlife T5 bulbs over my tank and am very satisfied with my outcome.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 15g6 lights and 4 Aquaticlife T5 bulbs over my tank and am very satisfied with my outcome.
Those t5’s are what’s doing it for ya! I just sold off all my xr15’s and went back to halides! Huge improvement… 30’s work well but super pricey, id need 6k in radions to light my tank properly.. I spent $50 on some used halides since everyone has them collecting dust and couldn’t be happier.. lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those t5’s are what’s doing it for ya! I just sold off all my xr15’s and went back to halides! Huge improvement… 30’s work well but super pricey, id need 6k in radions to light my tank properly.. I spent $50 on some used halides since everyone has them collecting dust and couldn’t be happier.. lol
I'm curious - why do so many people that own LED's run them at 40-50% of their output. I'm not dissing you - just curious based on various posts - I'm fine with Halides - just wondering.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious - why do so many people that own LED's run them at 40-50% of their output. I'm not dissing you - just curious based on various posts - I'm fine with Halides - just wondering.
I run mine at 100% ab+ for 10hr. Ramps 1hr each for 12hr pp. happy here. Sps included.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience here - I have 2 hydra 64 and 2 Hydra 32 with 4 T5's over a 150 - The job which was very well done by 2-3 viparspectras - in my new build i am surely going to have hydras and T5s but not going to rely so much on them for par and supplement them with blackbox. I keep seeing the par chart from different folks and always wondering What setting are they really using ?

I guess running them 40 - 50% logic is due to longitivity of the LED's as some may burn out and i know for AI the lens gets heated real soon and does burn out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same experience here - I have 2 hydra 64 and 2 Hydra 32 with 4 T5's over a 150 - The job which was very well done by 2-3 viparspectras - in my new build i am surely going to have hydras and T5s but not going to rely so much on them for par and supplement them with blackbox. I keep seeing the par chart from different folks and always wondering What setting are they really using ?

I guess running them 40 - 50% logic is due to longitivity of the LED's as some may burn out and i know for AI the lens gets heated real soon and does burn out.
Interesting. Thats not my experience with either AI or Radion - but I favor Radion in general. I had 2 G5 30s over a 5 foot tank with no issues (and Ran at 100% for about 8 hours/day)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my old 80 I ran 4 xr15 blues.
I ran ab+ @100%.
I will use the same lights on my IM ext 170 but they will be in a aquatic life t5 hybrid. I did add a quanta blue and ran it for 2 months before I took the systsm down.
I have to laugh when people say they wont grow sps. If you know what you are doing any light within reason will work.
I ran halides for 30+ and sold all of them after my led experience.
10 hrs at full ab+.
14 months of growth under radion xr15 blue.
Nope they wont grow sps!
20220317_180914.jpg
20230729_192432.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine at 100% it wasn’t doing well and shortens the life of the led drastically as it gets very hot.. I added a second one and ran them at 80% it was okay but I know it could be better.. my units would shut down after awhile running at 100% intensity so I just did what I know and got coverage and crazy par numbers which my sticks love with a hybrid… mh,t5 today and some reefbrite bars. I’m still tweaking my lighting

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thats not my experience with either AI or Radion - but I favor Radion in general. I had 2 G5 30s over a 5 foot tank with no issues (and Ran at 100% for about 8 hours/day)
30’s are a whole different beast than the 15’s… I thought 2 xr15’s would equal a 30 and it’s not even close.. I’ve seen par numbers and a 30 is way more brighter and stronger than a 15 or 2 for that matter… they’ll grow sticks but the coverage is horrible for the price in my opinion.. my tank has a 3’x6’ foot print at 2’ deep so I need a lot of light…

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I stated earlier I think my g6 15s are great COMBINED with my T5s I am going to jump on this post to voice a complaint I have in the hopes EcoTech sees this thread and actually listens to the customer. I hate that I can't simply log into Mobius and tell which template my lights are currently using.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've run only LED (2 radion xr 30 g5 blue and a reefbrite xho on a 120g standard) after ditching an 8-blub ati t5. i noticed literally zero difference aside from not spending hundreds of dollars in replacement bulbs and power. shading is the only difference and really depends on your rockwork and the type/growth pattern of the corals on top and what is below.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that I can't simply log into Mobius and tell which template my lights are currently using.
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but have you explored widgets in mobius? You can set one up to see the intensity of the current light spectrum.

Screenshot_20230927_075547_Mobius.jpg

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had black boxes over 75g and decided to upgrade to radions. Spent over 1000 dollars for two lights. The par and spread is pathetic. I believe this whole led for aquariums industry is a scam. All you need is decent grow lights that produce the same photosynthetic properties of the sun. I will be packing these lights up today and sending back. Way way over priced. Shame on Ecotech I feel like I just got robbed.
Note: XR15G6 mounting height 9in with ab+ at 100% schedule Intensity.
I have also stepped away from ecotech. Used radion for years. Kessel and reef brights are more reliable combo or if your into the look T5s are not a bad choice either but loose the power efficiency and Control ability of LEDs. I agree the price is ridiculous. Ive seen tanks with black box leds that look amazing for 1/4 the price of 1 radion G6.

Take that as you will. This is all just IMO.

I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for your unbiased review on current state of radions ✌

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats 2 grand on lights.... I think that was the point of this original thread.
I purchased all 4 used for around $340 each with mounts. Still alot but I was referencing the people who said they wont grow sps.
Like I said before any good reef light will grow corals if you know how to maintain a reef system.
As the title says "dont buy Radions if you want to grow sps".
Im out enjoy your reef.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased all 4 used for around $340 each with mounts. Still alot but I was referencing the people who said they wont grow sps.
Like I said before any good reef light will grow corals if you know how to maintain a reef system.
As the title says "dont buy Radions if you want to grow sps".
Im out enjoy your reef.

Nobody here said they wont grow SPS... They just said dont buy radions if you want to grow them. Jumped right by the point of the post, strait to the buzz words.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had black boxes over 75g and decided to upgrade to radions. Spent over 1000 dollars for two lights. The par and spread is pathetic. I believe this whole led for aquariums industry is a scam. All you need is decent grow lights that produce the same photosynthetic properties of the sun. I will be packing these lights up today and sending back. Way way over priced. Shame on Ecotech I feel like I just got robbed.
Note: XR15G6 mounting height 9in with ab+ at 100% schedule Intensity.
Yeah most people just feel comfort in these "well known" brands, when they can grow corals much faster with something like T5's or cheaper black box LEDS

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most people just feel comfort in these "well known" brands, when they can grow corals much faster with something like T5's or cheaper black box LEDS
that seems a bit disingenuous.
light in the correct spectrum and intensity grows corals and the rest is up to husbandry, stability and water quality.
Some of the black box offerings are great and open the door to good lights for less money. Some i've seen are hot garbage. same goes with t5 fixtures, a person can easily go to home depot and build a diy aquarium fixture or they can buy an ati with a proper reflector and programmability.
Reasons people buy the well known brands: many of the cheaper lights don't have engineered mounts or hanging kits, they often lack timers, they often don't offer dimming or programmability, led's are of lesser quality and aren't likely to have the same level of focused light resulting in disco-ball effect.
the bottom line, buy whatever you like but be realistic about what you convey to others, we're supposed to be helping people here... not baselessly defending what we just purchased.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back