Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't? Sad. lol

That said, the purpose of this forum is for this exact reason: reef chemistry can be very challenging, but we are here to guide you through it.

We can advise on what to chase and how to chase it, and what can be ignored.
And that is what is so awesome about this website all those people willing to help you succeed

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, there are also tales of folks with dinos who didn't realize nutrients were too low, burnt tip SPS who didn't realize alk was so high, closed up zooanthids because they didn't realize salinity was so high, etc.

Other folks say their corals took off growing faster when they "chased" and attained kept stable alk.

The key is knowing what to chase and how to chase it.

I know I keep repeating myself, but I do not want this thread or this forum to fall prey to the sky is falling and all we can do is nothing.
I definitely did not start this thread to cause commotions,arguments,or that the sky is falling. I just made this thread because I just figured something out nothing really more than that. And what I learned is listen to my tank and my corals and go from there

And I definitely appreciate all the advice as a matter of fact I have even written a few things down just so if I look at my tank and noticed something I’ll know what to check first. Like a burnt chip SPS I’ll check my ALK DINOS,I’ll check my nutrients And closed so hours I will check my salinity

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely did not start this thread to cause commotions,arguments,or that the sky is falling. I just made this thread because I just figured something out nothing really more than that. And what I learned is listen to my tank and my corals and go from there

And I definitely appreciate all the advice as a matter of fact I have even written a few things down just so if I look at my tank and noticed something I’ll know what to check first. Like a burnt chip SPS I’ll check my ALK DINOS,I’ll check my nutrients And closed so hours I will check my salinity
Closed zoas. Stupid voice app

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hang in there. New tanks, especially those starting with dry rock, IMO, are like threading a needle, and add to the stress, you are lacking the experience of when to act and when to let something ride.
'
It's like learning to steer a boat or fly a plane. You will over adjust reacting to every little movement. After a while you develop a feel and trust the ship/plane will self correct and hold the line steady as you were taught based on the experience of others.

Of course, you don't want to underestimate something and end up in a nose dive.

Ah just like flying a plane! It all makes sense now.....

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of course, there are also tales of folks with dinos who didn't realize nutrients were too low, burnt tip SPS who didn't realize alk was so high, closed up zooanthids because they didn't realize salinity was so high, etc.

Other folks say their corals took off growing faster when they "chased" and attained kept stable alk.

The key is knowing what to chase and how to chase it.

I know I keep repeating myself, but I do not want this thread or this forum to fall prey to the sky is falling and all we can do is nothing.

I think the key is putting together a proper plan when you build a tank. Get the best skimmer you can. Get a balanced reef... proper clean up crew to a animal ratio. When you do it right you can have a tank like mine that never got a thing dosed and never had a test taken... in 11 years! If your a chemist that's cool, but to me you are doing nothing but selling snake oil to these folks. They start adding all this crap to their tank trying to play mother nature and then the problems arise. Do you have a fix for it? Sure... after another batch of corals die. Rinse and repeat.

LEAVE IT ALONE PEOPLE!

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question about numbers. If I just have fish and soft corals(mushrooms, leathers) do I need to worry about keeping tabs on alkalinity, calcium, magnesium? I dont have any test kits for those yet.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question about numbers. If I just have fish and soft corals(mushrooms, leathers) do I need to worry about keeping tabs on alkalinity, calcium, magnesium? I dont have any test kits for those yet.

As long as you do regular water changes you will be fine.

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I completely understand you, same thing happened to me about three years ago started chasing numbers and everything just went down hill. So I gave up for about two years but now I am back I dont TEST FOR ANYTHING..... Just weekly water changes and filter management and my tank has been the best ever

Exactly! I don't test anything after the original ammonia cycle

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well duh... parameters change throughout the day. Thers is no such thing as perfect parameters. You should be able to tell if something is wrong just by looking at your animals. My tank is 11 years old. All I have is a skimmer and kalk reactor. That is all you need. Anything else was created for the sole purpose to seperate you and your money.
You don't even need a skimmer or kalk reactor. Seems like you've been separated from said money.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test my salinity for water changes.you’d be amazed how much better off your tank is without chasing numbers and dosing stuff to make corrections every other day

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6. Don't chase #s, stability is what's critical

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6. Don't chase #s, stability is what's critical

My mantra is different:

When altering the parameters of a reef tank, always do it in an appropriate way. :)

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People with experience and in stable systems can afford not to measure most parameters, but some young sailors take the advice (don't chase the numbers) literally and stop taking measurements altogether. And for beginners and in a young system, it is necessary to have an idea of what is happening in the reef. In my opinion, the nautical hobby loves control and numbers. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back