Don't know what it is. Was told Diatoms.

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have pics attached. My LFS can not get rid of it and I do not know what it is. I was told Diatoms but it keeps coming back. Perimeters are in order and lights are at 25%. Help!

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

OP
OP
Pig-zilla bbq

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Show Pic with White light as soon as I can figure out how to get it on here. Yes I use RO water and tank is about 4 years old.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't know what diatoms are after 4 years, I consider you one super lucky SOB!

I also doubt you have never seen diatoms so I doubt that is what it is. We need a better pic.

OP
OP
Pig-zilla bbq

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tank for about 21 years. What ever THIS is, I have never seen it before. I stopped taking care of my tank about 10 years ago do to work. I have had my LFS take care of it. I have had many different size tanks. They do not show up in white light. And LFS can't fix. Fish are fine but corals are suffering.

OP
OP
Pig-zilla bbq

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PO4 reactor in sump and has been there the whole length of tank life with pellets replaced on regular basis. I buy all supplies and have LFS us them so I know what there doing.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but the thing is that's not a number.

Ur relying solely on the lfs word which is fine.

But this problem u have never seen before has happened since ur lfs has taken care of ur tank.

Ur busy I get it but if u don't have the numbers and everything is in order well then u shouldn't have algae like this by that logic.

Like salty asked u using rodi water?
You said ro water.
Is it ro or rodi?
Who's water is it your or the lfs?
Whoevers it is what the tds? Fine or is in order isn't a good answer here.

Look we're trying to help you but so far the only thing I have gotten out of this is everything is in order because the lfs says so.

So we need numbers to help ya out.

I do find it weird that it doesn't show up with the white light on @saltyfilmfolks you ever seen that?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dinos started out looking like that on the sand only then as I blasted them the rocks got covered if it is dinos use some dinox took care of mine where peroxide did not

OP
OP
Pig-zilla bbq

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results per API test kits. PH 7.8, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 160 way out of wac, PO4 .25, SG. 1.025, CA 34 Drops. I am using Reverse Osmosis water from Store and Salt water from store. And I have no idea what TDS is.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wel my guess is it was introduced to ur tank somehow then with the high nitrate and phosphate it took off. Well now u have a base to go off of.

Bring down the trates slowly and see if it starves out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also highly recommend an inexpensive tds meter. With the blue light its tough to tell, it may be just some diatoms,(brown n dusty) from silicates in not so good water.

.25 aint awful, keep in mind its api so .25 reading means more than most folks want. Ive had that number with no visual changes to algae cyano diatoms dino etc growth.

Could also just be build up in the tank. Dr tims waste away, mb7, probidio, a good bacteria will help with some clean up.

OP
OP
Pig-zilla bbq

Pig-zilla bbq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 15 gallon water change last weekend. Calcium took 34 drops to change color. To me that's very high.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's 34 equal in ppm?

And .25 isn't bad if there is nothing in ur tank to take it in but if u have algae that is going to consume it and then ur going to wonder why u have zero phosphates with algae everywhere and if it's an API test kit I believe the accuracy isn't that good I could be wrong tho as I don't use API

I'm at .03 on a Hannah checker

Just remember to remove everything slowly as u have sps in the tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back