2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no signature
16F0B881-924F-4BE9-9AE0-0FFB1F9044F4.jpeg
Sorry I am using a PC.

Here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/soda-poppin-and-how-to-dose-infinite-kalk.760785/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is really just expensive Calciume Hydroxide? That's good to know.

It does have a substantial amount of strontium, while the commercial quicklime had much less. It also stays in solution in limewater.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Just tested the tank .. it is 1170 (down from 1200 before I started all of this and the corals started growing again). The mixed solution using my recipe tests at 1260ppm for a difference of 90ppm. Not sure what your calculations for the mag should be based on the Brightwell numbers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Just tested the tank .. it is 1170 (down from 1200 before I started all of this and the corals started growing again). The mixed solution using my recipe tests at 1260ppm for a difference of 90ppm. Not sure what your calculations for the mag should be based on the Brightwell numbers.

You last reported the solution has 500 ppm more calcium and 25 dKH more alk than the starting tank water, I believe.

The expected ratio for calcium hydroxide is 500 ppm and 70 dKH of alkalinity.

If we accept your reported test results as accurate, then there is 45 dKH of alkalinity missing.

In order for that to be missing and be precipitated as magnesium hydroxide, that would mean a decline of 195 ppm magnesium in the modified tank water solution.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order for that to be missing and be precipitated as magnesium hydroxide, that would mean a decline of 195 ppm magnesium in the modified tank water solution.
Tank tests 1170 and solution tests at 1260. I amj using tank water as the baseline because that is where the solution is coming from.

Can strontium be at play here. LFS doesn't have a strontium test and I would have to order on line. If you think it is of interest I will.

Also I can choose a different brand that is pure(ish) kalkwasser and test with that. If you think that is at play.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading this whole thread hoping to find the answer as to do I need to dose 2 part first them kalk to get to my desired (corrected) levels instead I'm just sitting here like...
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading this whole thread hoping to find the answer as to do I need to dose 2 part first them kalk to get to my desired

What are you current levels?

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for me (OP), I used two part to level off and now I'm dosing one part (Carbo-calcium) to good effect. Was able to get a doser on sale on Black Friday, and this way I don't deal with juggling weather changes / ATO dependency. My Ph is good without Kalk anyways, and with my 38 gallon system, cost differences are negligible.

I may see if I can get the "Carbo-calcium" salt off brand, just because I assume (perhaps incorrectly) I'm paying twice as much as necessary via the hobby supply chain.

I'm adding Mg about once a month.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last test reaults

8.2 dKH
396 Cal
1279 mag
7.6 PH

Desired (Emulating the Redsea Recipe for Mixed Reef)

11.5 dKH
450 Cal
1350 mag
8.4 PH

Ignoring the pH as you cannot dose to control that, if you want those starting levels, just dose each part of a DIY 2/3 part or other stand alone additives to attain them.

FWIW, maintaining alk that high will be a challenge.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and then maintain with Kalk?

Sure, if you can. Maintaining 11 dKH takes a lot more daily dosing than maintaining 7 dKH, and the limewater may not be up to the task.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My statement is totally accurate.

If you try to boost calcium by 40 ppm, alk will skyrocket a rise of 5.8 dKH.
@Randy Holmes-Farley sorry to unearth an online conflict, but I think the info in this thread will help me, I just want to confirm:

I have a new-ish softie dominant tank. I’ve been dosing bicarbonate to maintain alkalinity but have done nothing about calcium (except water changes).

I finally got a calcium test: it’s 383.. lower than I’d like, but not lower than expected based on my dosing.

So now I’m considering kalkwasser, but according to this thread, I won’t be able to achieve stability.
Should I:
A) let alkalinity drop then start kalkwasser
B) dose calcium until stability then stop and start kalkwasser
C) do nothing and accept low calcium
D) other

alk: 8.3
Calcium: 383
pH: 7.9

thanks
thanks

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, disregard hudvudu’s comments. He loves to do this on posts. Randy is correct. You can adjust kalk addition rates to change your alk, however you will need calcium chloride to raise your calcium levels but then kalk will maintain them nicely!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back