Don't understand why I have hair aslgae.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78.2
pH 7.8 - 8.0
Salinity 1.026
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
Alk 7.2
Cal 400
Mag 1500
Phosphate 0.00

Over the past month my tank has started to grow hair algae. Yes it is hair algae and not bryopsis. I recently moved and before this my tank had some algae but it seems like it's growing like crazy. I have a skimmer online, chaeto and an algae scrubber. I'm thinking about putting my GFO reactor back online. I'm wondering if something is giving my phosphate test a false 0 reading. I used a red sea test kit for Ammo, Nitrite and Nitrate. I used Hanna checkers for Phosphate, calcium and magnesium. Also used my salifert kit for Phosphate to double check it. Used my apex for ph and salinity.

Can anyone help me make sense if this? My tank is by a sliding glass door but it is Always closed. The o my other thing I can think of is I don't have a wood stand. It is metal and I wrap cardboard around it while I save up money to build a removable wood stand/covering. The refugium lights bleed out to the display a little.

The algae is worse than it looks in these pics. These pic are just to showe a few spots.
Thanks for your help.

20170615_191552.jpg

20170615_191534.jpg

20170615_191530.jpg

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I added 2 frag racks last week and the surface of the racks are green. And the plugscare starting to turn green as well.

May be time to send off a Triton test.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something is off. Your nitrate is probably much higher than your reading and so is your phosphates. That hair algae is feeding a lot from it. Normally in conditions like yours the reading is 0 . Have you dosed any iron for your cheato or scrubber cause that could do it.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is eating all the phosphate and nitrate.

I had the same problem, then poof the algae disappeared. Now my nitrates are up and my SPS have color again.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There does appear to be some bryopsis but not very much right now. I can kill that with fluconazole. I'm more worried about the hair algae...if that's what it truly is.

20170615_194646.jpg

20170615_205040.jpg
Something is off. Your nitrate is probably much higher than your reading and so is your phosphates. That hair algae is feeding a lot from it. Normally in conditions like yours the reading is 0 . Have you dosed any iron for your cheato or scrubber cause that could do it.

I have not dosed anything. My scrubber is just 4-5 days old. I agree. Something is off.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is eating all the phosphate and nitrate.

I had the same problem, then poof the algae disappeared. Now my nitrates are up and my SPS have color again.

How long did it take? My take is a little over a year old. I'm thinking about moving myncirals to my other tank that has no algae until this algae dissappears.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That will help and cut on your light too. Siphone what you can while doing water changes

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take? My take is a little over a year old. I'm thinking about moving myncirals to my other tank that has no algae until this algae dissappears.

I set my tank up in November and by January it was a hair algae party. I burned through about 3 lbs of GFO and did 15% weekly water changes. In the end, I think my fix was to remove as much of the hair algae as possible during water changes and scrub the rocks in the removed water.

I kept hoping the snails would get it or the use of GFO, but pulling the algae out helped the most it seemed. I went from a fairly overgrown tank to zero algae in the course of a week. I'd remove rocks one by one and scrub them with a toothbrush in water change water. Once it gets to a controllable level the CUC should be able to help.

When you moved, did you keep you original sand? If you did, did you rinse it at all?

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was setup 5/23/16 and I went through the algae phase and stuff slowed down but never went away 100%. But was very manageable. I had sand but when I moved I tossed it out. I wanted to do a bare bottom tank. Looks like I will just have to do 20% weekly and scrub the rocks. Should not be too hard. Just a lot of it. Lol

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will kill the ha too. May take up to 2 months with the fluconazole in your tank though. Run gfo and carbon and water changes till your tank is perfect and can go 2 months without any off the above. Treat with fluconazole and enjoy the die off. Then keep up with water changes and carbon and gfo changes to slowly pull the phosphate out of your rock. Can take a long time. Took me a year of increased maintenance to get the gfo out of my rocks in my 75. Also remove as much as you can before dosing the fluconazole then leave it alone. Increase lighting while treating if you can also. Good luck. This will work.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will kill the ha too. May take up to 2 months with the fluconazole in your tank though. Run gfo and carbon and water changes till your tank is perfect and can go 2 months without any off the above. Treat with fluconazole and enjoy the die off. Then keep up with water changes and carbon and gfo changes to slowly pull the phosphate out of your rock. Can take a long time. Took me a year of increased maintenance to get the gfo out of my rocks in my 75. Also remove as much as you can before dosing the fluconazole then leave it alone. Increase lighting while treating if you can also. Good luck. This will work.

I've already did the fluconazole dosing. It's amazing how well it works. I dontvwant to use this aga on as my skimmer is just now getting back to normal after 2 months from the initial dose. I am just going to have to pull/scrub the algae off the rickshaws do bigger water changes more frequently. If it gets out if control i will dose fluconazole again....but thiscweill be my last resort.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say took a year to get the phosphate out of my rocks. A hanna ultra low range phosphorous checker is a great tool to keep track of the phosphate in your tank. It is a great feeling when you beat the gha and can enjoy your tank.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say took a year to get the phosphate out of my rocks. A hanna ultra low range phosphorous checker is a great tool to keep track of the phosphate in your tank. It is a great feeling when you beat the gha and can enjoy your tank.

Yes I love my Hanna checkers. I guess I will continue waiting.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ats is only 5 days old you wont see any reduction in the tank. Wait at least a month. Its too new.

How big is your ats? What kind of light does it use?

The algae will die in the display slowly. But not if your ats is too small.

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using 0 TDS RO/DI water?
How many fish do you have and how much do you feed?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back