Donut delight! Have you kept a scoly?

Have you kept a scoly?

• I currently have a scoly.

Votes: 81 28.9%
  • I have kept a scoly in the past.

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • I have not, but I plan to keep a scoly in the future.

Votes: 106 37.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a scoly.

Votes: 51 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Donut delight! Have you kept a scoly?

There are many color patterns on scolymia corals (often called a scoly). While it is a good idea to research the specific type of scoly that you are thinking about getting, because they may have different requirements, scolys can be aggressive toward other corals. Additionally, they are carnivorous and can be target feed with meaty treats like brine shrimp and chopped seafood or can feast on microplankton out of the water column. Please let us know if you have kept a scoly and feel free to share any care tips or recommendations.

Reefer831_MasterScoly.jpeg

Photo by @Reefer831

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one Green button scoly and don't know what I did wrong, but over 4-6 months it's flesh receded and it died. No idea if it was an infection or a pest or because at times my dragon wrassed liked to dump sand on the scoly. I kept propping it up so sand would fall off it and powerheads could gently blow the sand off, but maybe it was too little too late. I'd be open to trying one again. I like corals that grow, and my understanding is scoly's don't grow much. . . If at all.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just as an experiment I recently bought one of those pie piece fragged scolys. I'm really surprised how well it's doing. It eats like a pig and is growing quickly.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i've kept them previously with little success (alk swings), but do plan on keeping them again in the future.

J_C_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man!! Scolys are in my opinion so beautiful!! I would really like no LOVE to keep one in my aquarium althought I don't know if I could with my current setup ,maybe???

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scolys are my all time favorite coral!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this war paint Scolymia maybe 1.5 years? I forget. Beautiful easy to care for coral
Whats your tips for them??? Ive tried 3 and they are doing well then its like overnight they melt. No clue what Im doing wrong with them but would love to have them! Beautiful corals

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your tips for them??? Ive tried 3 and they are doing well then its like overnight they melt. No clue what Im doing wrong with them but would love to have them! Beautiful corals
I keep alk around 8, ca 440
Phosphate .02-.05
Nitrate 0-5

I target feed mysis flake food a few times a month (at night when feeding tentacles are out). I broadcast feed benereef weekly

I keep in the sandbed around 100 par, medium steady but gentle flow.

I think these come in either destined for success or failure. It’s a single polyp coral, that’s many many many years old, and it’s either healthy or on the decline

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that scolys like cooler temperatures than what many people keep their normal mixed reefs at. It seems to explain some slow decline examples, though with so many variables it's nearly impossible to guess.

I usually run all of my tanks around 80 but I knocked a few degrees lower on the tank I keep my scoly in, so it remains between 76-78. I can't say if this will help the scoly, but at the very least it's not harming my other corals.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an experiment I recently bought one of those pie piece fragged scolys. I'm really surprised how well it's doing. It eats like a pig and is growing quickly.
A scoly that was cut into pie pieces? Thats wild I have never seen that personally. Awesome that it is doing good, maybe we will see some price decreases from that. They are expensive

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that scolys like cooler temperatures than what many people keep their normal mixed reefs at. It seems to explain some slow decline examples, though with so many variables it's nearly impossible to guess.

I usually run all of my tanks around 80 but I knocked a few degrees lower on the tank I keep my scoly in, so it remains between 76-78. I can't say if this will help the scoly, but at the very least it's not harming my other corals.

Interesting. I keep my tank at 77. Maybe that helps?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back