Dos AWChange is...loud

t blackwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just checking around. recently started doing awc with my dos pump...its quite annoying and loud particulary the more volume..is this normal...man..I am shocked how loud and annoying the thing becomes...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just checking around. recently started doing awc with my dos pump...its quite annoying and loud particulary the more volume..is this normal...man..I am shocked how loud and annoying the thing becomes...
Yup, SUPER loud and annoying. I set mine to change 10% every day on my 125 at midnight. My tank is located downstairs and at the opposite end of the house so I don't hear it while in operation. You can build a soundproofing box around it but other than that...

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's normal. I located mine away from my tank to help mitigate the noise. Noise is really the only thing I dislike about doing awc via dos.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal, I find it worse at lower speeds. A very glossed-over point in all the marketing.

OP
OP
t blackwell

t blackwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
indeed...this is very glossed over when video for using it for awc is done..it is too loud for he price I paid..they can work on that and make it much better..some sound would be fine..its too loud..probably the case it is in has a lot to do with that...and could be made better..how would you build a soundproof or sound reducing box for it? I im curious as to what you would use

OP
OP
t blackwell

t blackwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neptune..this could be a new product..just make an awc device that works with apex and has precise..but "quiet" pumps..and you have something else to sell would be a sure hit..

U

User1

View Badges
Thought I read somewhere that it has a pretty good pull or head height so could be placed closer to the source and waste containers. If so this would move the noise outside of the room provided one could run the plumbing.

Note: While I have a DOS I do not use it for AWC so not sure how accurate the distance is. Just what I remember reading.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of peristaltic pump is loud by their very nature they are that way. You are best to place this type of pump is a remote area as they will make a lot of noise when working. 20 to 30 feet away is possible.:)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
indeed...this is very glossed over when video for using it for awc is done..it is too loud for he price I paid..they can work on that and make it much better..some sound would be fine..its too loud..probably the case it is in has a lot to do with that...and could be made better..how would you build a soundproof or sound reducing box for it? I im curious as to what you would use
Build a simple foam insulated, thin ply box and make it to just fit over. So long as you use non-rigid foam and make it so it just barely fits that would help. I'm not sure how to deal with heat buildup though. The motors do get warm and require a cool down period after running. I agree that they are too loud for the price. My Jebao's are nearly silent and cost $50.00. I just don't think that Neptune cares. It can and should be exponentially quieter and it can be done but demand doesn't require that fix... yet.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the option of drilling holes through walls or the floor, you can locate the DOS in a different room (in my case, in the garage) and run 1/4" tubing and a long AquaBus cable to your tank and Apex. The DOS will have no problem pumping water through the long tubes. You can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long here: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the option of drilling holes through walls or the floor, you can locate the DOS in a different room (in my case, in the garage) and run 1/4" tubing and a long AquaBus cable to your tank and Apex. The DOS will have no problem pumping water through the long tubes. You can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long here: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

You can make one way cheaper.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to stop using my DOS as it is just too load even for dosing. It scares the hell out of me when it kicks in even for normal dosing!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering it. I am going to see if I can move it to a different location first and if that does not work, it will be up for sale.

Let me know. I have a basement sump and thinking of doing awc if the price is right.

Thanks

smariner007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine is located in a closet on the ground floor of my house. It keeps us up at night (the first night of operation) and should be quieter (even at lower speeds). I will have to look into soundproofing a plywood box AND soundproofing the closet as well. You would think that a closet with a door would be sufficient enough... NOPE...

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to stop using my DOS as it is just too load even for dosing. It scares the hell out of me when it kicks in even for normal dosing!
I have done the same thing!!!! I do love the accuracy and its ability to maintain calibration but ended up swapping it out with something a third of the price and is very quiet. I am dosing NOPOX manually at the moment and as I only dose tiny amounts, I may put the Apex back online if I find something else to dose.

smariner007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large problem is the vibration from the unit itself. I'm going to try gym flooring in between the wall and the unit to see if that quiet's it down along with pads to absorb sound from amazon. I'll report on how much quieter I can make it with these two items.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back