Dos problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Seasidenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Setup apex Dos for auto water change.The water being diverted to sump is fine.The pump that takes water out of sump wont remove any water.If I start it manually then it only drips water out.Any idea what going wrong

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check a few things.

1- make sure the intake that’s in the sump can’t suck in any detritus. Even a tiny bit of sand/random crap can clog the tubing and this will be the result.

2- check the tubing connections on the dos unit itself. It’s possible that the connections aren’t tight and air is getting in the tubing.

3- this is actually a guess based on what you said, but... if you used the task to set up the water change on the dos, did you make sure that your tubing on that side is set up for reverse flow? The pump that takes water out of the sump runs in reverse, so you need to make sure that the tubing is routed correctly.

The reason I guess this is because you said when you run it manually, the water comes out slowly. However, when you run the dos manually it doesn’t run in reverse. So, if the water is coming out during manual mode, it’s highly likely that your tubing isn’t routed properly.

OP
OP
S

Seasidenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works if on turn it on manually and its pumping slow but if I set up to do a 6 gallon water change to be done in 6 hours.it rotates fast but no water is being removed

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works if on turn it on manually and its pumping slow but if I set up to do a 6 gallon water change to be done in 6 hours.it rotates fast but no water is being removed

Could you take a screenshot of your dos programming for that side?

Like I said, if you used the task to program a water change then it will have set up the pump to run in reverse.

When you turn the pump on manually it runs forward. If you are getting water coming out of the pump when it’s on manually then your tubing to the pump is attached wrong. When it’s spinning fast it’s not pumping water from your sump. It’s pumping air INTO your sump. Reverse the tubing and it should work.

That said, if you can post your programming, that would be most helpful. But here is an example:

168f15da4da14a82089a06ca9138060c.jpg

That’s my programming for water coming from the sump. Do you see the red minus in front of the 72000ml? That means the pump will be running backwards.

U

User1

View Badges
Double check your tubing and make sure it follows this picture exactly.

9d254a74e217441338bb8834f3edcded.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I've been wondering if I could add some form of quick connects on the new saltwater intake and waste container line. This way I can setup a pair of 16 gallon containers on a DIY wagon. Make the salt in the garage, wheel into the house, connect two lines, hit the water change task, and be done... Not sure if it lets you have saved profiles but it could save me a couple bucks and use it one day for a water change and the rest for dosing...

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture. I've been wondering if I could add some form of quick connects on the new saltwater intake and waste container line. This way I can setup a pair of 16 gallon containers on a DIY wagon. Make the salt in the garage, wheel into the house, connect two lines, hit the water change task, and be done... Not sure if it lets you have saved profiles but it could save me a couple bucks and use it one day for a water change and the rest for dosing...

I thought about doing this as well, but there are a few problems with it. Mainly the stuff left over in the lines when you change. Depending on how long the lines are from the dos to the containers or to quick connects, when you switch from two part to water change, the first thing that will happen is that you’ll dose all that was in the tubing straight into the tank. And afterwards, when you think you’re dosing 2 part, it’ll actually be dosing the saltwater that’s in the lines.

There are ways around it, clearing the lines each time, putting the connections really close and whatnot, but by the time you go through all that effort for a water change, you might as well just do a manual water change instead.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the answer is yes, you probably could do that if you really wanted to, but I’m not sure that you really want to.

Each time you disconnected the dosing lines any fluid in them would run out and each time you reconnected them you would need to reprime the lines. Additionally you wouldn’t be able to dose during the time that you were doing the water change. I suspect it would mess with the accuracy of your dosing.

Additionally the DOS really isn’t ideal for on demand water changes like that, especially from a temporary reservoir. It is very slow...even at it’s fastest speed it would take about 15 minutes per gallon. The DOS is really better suited to be connected permanently and used as a continuous automatic water change.

If you really wanted to do something temporary like that I would just use regular pumps to move the water faster.

OP
OP
S

Seasidenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check a few things.
Thank you SO MUCH I had my lines backwards.Its all fixed now

1- make sure the intake that’s in the sump can’t suck in any detritus. Even a tiny bit of sand/random crap can clog the tubing and this will be the result.

2- check the tubing connections on the dos unit itself. It’s possible that the connections aren’t tight and air is getting in the tubing.

3- this is actually a guess based on what you said, but... if you used the task to set up the water change on the dos, did you make sure that your tubing on that side is set up for reverse flow? The pump that takes water out of the sump runs in reverse, so you need to make sure that the tubing is routed correctly.

The reason I guess this is because you said when you run it manually, the water comes out slowly. However, when you run the dos manually it doesn’t run in reverse. So, if the water is coming out during manual mode, it’s highly likely that your tubing isn’t routed properly.
Could you take a screenshot of your dos programming for that side?

Like I said, if you used the task to program a water change then it will have set up the pump to run in reverse.

When you turn the pump on manually it runs forward. If you are getting water coming out of the pump when it’s on manually then your tubing to the pump is attached wrong. When it’s spinning fast it’s not pumping water from your sump. It’s pumping air INTO your sump. Reverse the tubing and it should work.

That said, if you can post your programming, that would be most helpful. But here is an example:

168f15da4da14a82089a06ca9138060c.jpg

That’s my programming for water coming from the sump. Do you see the red minus in front of the 72000ml? That means the pump will be running backwards.

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you both @Brett S and @dante411x I didn't really think about the whole line issue. That more or less torpedoed that idea ;) I can do the same thing I guess like noted. Mix and store everything the same way but have a small pump with a hose attached and a small clamp ready. Toss in pump to sump or tank, probably sump, power on, wait until removed. Move pump to storage container, clamp hose to sump, turn on and fill to waterline. In and out in probably 10 minutes or so I guess. I'm just so tired of lugging buckets :) I have to find a better way so that I'll actually do them and not procrastinate :D

Again - ty both and sorry to hijack the thread. The image just got me thinking is all.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both @Brett S and @dante411x I didn't really think about the whole line issue. That more or less torpedoed that idea ;) I can do the same thing I guess like noted. Mix and store everything the same way but have a small pump with a hose attached and a small clamp ready. Toss in pump to sump or tank, probably sump, power on, wait until removed. Move pump to storage container, clamp hose to sump, turn on and fill to waterline. In and out in probably 10 minutes or so I guess. I'm just so tired of lugging buckets :) I have to find a better way so that I'll actually do them and not procrastinate :D

Again - ty both and sorry to hijack the thread. The image just got me thinking is all.

Glad that you got it sorted.

And yeah, I had these same ideas back when I got it. Came up with all sorts of solutions and then realized that by the time I get the dos setup every time I could have done the water change long ago.

I went the easy route lol. Just get a second dos and then there are no more problems ;-P

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just so tired of lugging buckets :) I have to find a better way so that I'll actually do them and not procrastinate :D

The DOS when dedicated and set up for continuous water changes is definitely a better way. The DOS only uses 1/4 inch tubing and it can move water long distances. My water change station is in my garage and the DOS pumps water up into the attic, over 20 or 30 feet, then down inside the wall to the tank. The waste water goes up inside the wall, through the attic, and down inside the wall to my washing machine drain In the laundry room. Totally tube length is a good 40 or 50 feet each for both the new water and the waste water.

As long as you can run a couple of 1/4 inch tubes to where you mix water you won’t have to carry any buckets anymore.

U

User1

View Badges
The DOS when dedicated and set up for continuous water changes is definitely a better way. The DOS only uses 1/4 inch tubing and it can move water long distances. My water change station is in my garage and the DOS pumps water up into the attic, over 20 or 30 feet, then down inside the wall to the tank. The waste water goes up inside the wall, through the attic, and down inside the wall to my washing machine drain In the laundry room. Totally tube length is a good 40 or 50 feet each for both the new water and the waste water.

As long as you can run a couple of 1/4 inch tubes to where you mix water you won’t have to carry any buckets anymore.

It can go that far and high? I did not know that.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go that far and high? I did not know that.

It definitely can... the peristaltic pumps aren’t the quickest things in the world, but they have no problem with head height or distance. I think I’m toward the end of the max distance for the DOS, but I’m still within spec.

U

User1

View Badges
It definitely can... the peristaltic pumps aren’t the quickest things in the world, but they have no problem with head height or distance. I think I’m toward the end of the max distance for the DOS, but I’m still within spec.

Thank you for the tip. I will have to look at this a bit differently now and see how something like this could be plumed. Garage isn't that far but the issue is of course routing through wall, frame (this would be the main hurdle) and then routing through the attic. Thanks all. Gives me some stuff to read up on :D

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember, head pressure height also only matters if the dos is pulling from one height to another. If the line is going from a garage to an attic and then back down to the same level as the garage, there is actually no head pressure height difference.

Even then, it can do a couple floors no problem.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember, head pressure height also only matters if the dos is pulling from one height to another. If the line is going from a garage to an attic and then back down to the same level as the garage, there is actually no head pressure height difference.

Even then, it can do a couple floors no problem.

That’s basically true, since the water coming down will balance out the water going up, however, if you exceed the maximum head height then you will need to manually fill the tube with water before connecting it to the DOS because when it’s initially priming it won’t be able to pull the water all the way up and it won’t be able to prime.

In my case my DOS has no problem priming (although it does take a little while for it to fill all 50 feet of tube)

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heads both spin the same way….. but my head on the left seemed to stop pulling water just the other day. Any thoughts?

Corey

If you configured your DOS for an automatic water change and followed the template then it’s normal for the heads to spin the same way, because the template configures the head that removes water from the tank to run in reverse.

If one head is no longer moving water then it’s likely that the tube is clogged. You could try disconnecting the tubes from the DOS and try to blow into it to see if they are clear.

I’ve had trouble with my new water line getting clogged with calcium deposits maybe once a year or so. When that happens I can usually blow it out using an air compressor, although one time it had gotten so clogged that I just needed to replace the line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back