Dosed wrong stump remover, not sure if I should be worried

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrongfully assumed all stump removers were potassium nitrate. I accidentally dosed about 10 grams dry weight of "Stump-Out" into my 150 gallon reef.

It says online that "Unlike most other stump removers, Bonide Stump-Out Granules are made from sodium metabisulfite instead of potassium nitrate"

Na2S2O5

Should I be worried about having dosed sodium metabisulfite instead of nitrate? if so, what should I do about it? I dosed about 5 grams 2 days in a row, and haven't seen any negative effects yet. I actually thought some of my zoas may have had some better colors, but nothing dramatic. All fish and coral acting normal so far about 36 hours after first dose. I'm thinking it will be fine since nothing bad has happened yet, but not sure if I should be doing something to try to remove it.

Thanks in advance!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chemist but I think you should be fine. I would do a couple water changes. Any bad smell after dosing? I have no idea what happens when added to saltwater but it’s used in wine making (yay for random Groupon stuff) as a source of so2.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chemist but I think you should be fine. I would do a couple water changes. Any bad smell after dosing? I have no idea what happens when added to saltwater but it’s used in wine making (yay for random Groupon stuff) as a source of so2.

The tank has more of a fishy smell than usual, however it did before dosing as well due to an airstone I have in the tank as I'm battling some dinos. Nothing odd smelling, seems to just have a smell from the extra air going through the water. no change after adding the stump-out.

I added some GAC, but don't know that it would absorb the stump remover or anything it may convert into. I'd imagine not.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium metabisulfite is used in brewing as a sterilant. Kills bacteria and yeast... good luck

If that's the case, large water changes and some bottled bacteria, like bio spira.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium metabisulfite is used in brewing as a sterilant. Kills bacteria and yeast... good luck
Do you happen to know what concentration it is used for typically for brewing? I imagine my dose was pretty low for a 159 gallon tank.

I will dose some beneficial bacteria to make sure the population is good and monitor for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the meantime.

Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should be worried - only becuase you added something you dont know aobut to your tank (No offense) - if people are concerned about lighting a scented candle next to a tank are worried. - Water changes - water changes - water changes. Carbon, Carbon, Carbon. it seems pretty innocuous - but I would do a large water change followed by another - with a really good carbon - not becuase I think it is a disaster - but because - there is no way to know. Hope it goes well.

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know what concentration it is used for typically for brewing? I imagine my dose was pretty low for a 159 gallon tank.

I will dose some beneficial bacteria to make sure the population is good and monitor for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the meantime.

Thanks
Depends on how they are using it in brewing. If it's being used to prevent wine oxidation and halt wild yeast you dose just over 1/2 gram per gallon. Using it to actually sterilize equipment requires much higher concentrations. Your dose was extremely small in comparison to these concentrations.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back