OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been dosing manually but wanna start using my dos to dose my 2 part its becoming harder everyday to dose manually at the same time wanna keep my parameters stable

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daytime for alk.

Most alk consumption occurs during lights on. When I run a doser I only schedule it to fire while my lights are on.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought dosing alk during the nite after the lights are off makes it more stable?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How old? What is your current Alk/Cal consumption? I started autodosing when the consumption got high enough that I was no longer comfortable with the swings I was getting by manually dosing every day and worrying about missing a day. I personally dose each 12 times daily on alternating hours. The Alk/PH swings day to night have never been drastic enough to bother me or my corals.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallons tanks is running over a year plus i dose 50ml alk 40ml cal mag havent dosed in awhile water changes once a month
parameters are as followed
alk 8.3
cal 420
mag 1380

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose alkalinity at night if your goal is to resist the nightly pH drop. Or you can dose alkalinity during the day because that’s when the majority of alkalinity is being consumed. I just dose small bits of alkalinity and calcium 24/7 because that works for me. Any of the 3 methods have worked for my tank. IMO the best method is the one that is the least likely to fail (like an overdose). I use a Spectrapure liter meter 3 for dosing.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My schedule: 3 VERSA Dose pumps
Dose ALK 12am-5am (lights off, after moon cycle - 1030pm)
Dose CAL 7am-12pm (lights turn on at 12pm)

Mind you, I’m only dosing between 2-5ML of each - “newer tank”

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never autodosed Mag. AWC and the occasional shot of Mag keeps it in check. I'm currently dosing 170 ml of BRS soda ash and 200 ml of BRS calcium chloride daily in my 125. For some unknown reason, my Cal consumption is consistently higher than Alk.

Consumption of both decreased a little bit during a fluconazol treatment, but is starting to climb back up. That's the beauty of autodosing. You can make small tweaks to keep parameters relatively stable without having to recalculate all of the time.

Again, I prefer to spread the doses out over a 24 hour period, but that's just me. Whatever you decide, just make sure to leave sufficient time between Alk/Cal doses to minimize precipitation.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back