DOSING ALKALINITY WITH APEX

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I got one for you guys. Ive been dosing alkalinity daily with my apex controller. Im currently doing about 11.5 ml daily to keep the alk at 9. Here's my question though, do you recommend dosing the 11.5 ml over 24 hrs (which is what Im currently doing) or dosing a larger amount at the lowest ph peak to keep the ph more stable thru the off light hours(which is what Im thinking of doing)?

Also, Im thinking that maybe dosing more less often could be better for the dosing pump? Thoughts???

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have the same question as I’m getting ready to buy a dosing pump for alk

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually 2/3 at night 1/3 during the day. Stops my PH from dropping at night.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 40ml/day spread out over 24 hours 24 times a day. 1.7ml/hr at the top of the hour. Dosing as little as you do I’d probably only break it up maybe about 8-10 times a day.

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only though as to why @AdamNC has a better methodology is because Neptune Systems only rates the pump head for a total of 1000 hours of use. By only running the pumps for 5-10 minutes every hour I would believe that it is less strain on the pumps. By also dosing at night time it can help to solve any PH fluctuations, but you need to make sure that the tank isn't consuming all of the Alk throughout the day or else you will need to ensure supplementation throughout the daytime. I know some people's SPS tanks on here would go from 9 to 7DKH if they didn't dose it for 12 hours so you need to make sure that you are dosing appropriately for your tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alk every hour on the hour and calcium at the bottom of the hour. I've thought about adjusting so that larger amounts are dosed at night but my pH swing at night is not that much. My alkalinity is very stable so I don't think I'm going to mess with it.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only though as to why @AdamNC has a better methodology is because Neptune Systems only rates the pump head for a total of 1000 hours of use. By only running the pumps for 5-10 minutes every hour I would believe that it is less strain on the pumps. By also dosing at night time it can help to solve any PH fluctuations, but you need to make sure that the tank isn't consuming all of the Alk throughout the day or else you will need to ensure supplementation throughout the daytime. I know some people's SPS tanks on here would go from 9 to 7DKH if they didn't dose it for 12 hours so you need to make sure that you are dosing appropriately for your tank.

I actually use BRS dosers but control them through my Apex. Interesting the DOS is only rated at 1000 hours per head? That’s not much at all. Together my BRS dosers are 1/3 of the price and have lasted about 3 1/2 years so far.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back