DOSING ALKALINITY WITH APEX

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Schmitty, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Schmitty

Schmitty Well-Known Member

Ok, so I got one for you guys. Ive been dosing alkalinity daily with my apex controller. Im currently doing about 11.5 ml daily to keep the alk at 9. Here's my question though, do you recommend dosing the 11.5 ml over 24 hrs (which is what Im currently doing) or dosing a larger amount at the lowest ph peak to keep the ph more stable thru the off light hours(which is what Im thinking of doing)?

Also, Im thinking that maybe dosing more less often could be better for the dosing pump? Thoughts???

Tags:

2. glb

glb Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Following. I have the same question as I’m getting ready to buy a dosing pump for alk

Schmitty likes this.
  3. stevem650

stevem650 Member

I usually 2/3 at night 1/3 during the day. Stops my PH from dropping at night.

4. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I dose 40ml/day spread out over 24 hours 24 times a day. 1.7ml/hr at the top of the hour. Dosing as little as you do I’d probably only break it up maybe about 8-10 times a day.

5. Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire Member

My only though as to why @AdamNC has a better methodology is because Neptune Systems only rates the pump head for a total of 1000 hours of use. By only running the pumps for 5-10 minutes every hour I would believe that it is less strain on the pumps. By also dosing at night time it can help to solve any PH fluctuations, but you need to make sure that the tank isn't consuming all of the Alk throughout the day or else you will need to ensure supplementation throughout the daytime. I know some people's SPS tanks on here would go from 9 to 7DKH if they didn't dose it for 12 hours so you need to make sure that you are dosing appropriately for your tank.

6. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I spread out to 4X a day.

7. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

I dose alk every hour on the hour and calcium at the bottom of the hour. I've thought about adjusting so that larger amounts are dosed at night but my pH swing at night is not that much. My alkalinity is very stable so I don't think I'm going to mess with it.

8. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I actually use BRS dosers but control them through my Apex. Interesting the DOS is only rated at 1000 hours per head? That’s not much at all. Together my BRS dosers are 1/3 of the price and have lasted about 3 1/2 years so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted