Dosing ATI elements Iodine

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just received my ATI. Icp test results this week and it shows that my tank is in pretty good shape but my iodine was very low. So I ordered the ATI elements iodine so I can get it where they recommend.
My question is where to dose at? My tank is an all in one and I have lots of flow in the display but looks like minimal flow in the rear chambers. ATI recommended about .45 ml for three days. I just don’t know if it needs to be added to high flow or if it even matters. Thanks!

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know if you see any difference after dosing for a while.

I never saw a benefit from dosing iodine for years compared to after I stopped dosing any.
Sure thing. I will say though that I plan to just get the recommended amount dosed back and the next ICP test should let me know if I need to make it a regular deal. As of right now it is a mixed reef and everything does well except for 80% of my sps. I’m trying to get to a point I can grow them. The biggest thing I notice otherwise is a couple of hammers look pretty stressed lately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. I will say though that I plan to just get the recommended amount dosed back and the next ICP test should let me know if I need to make it a regular deal. As of right now it is a mixed reef and everything does well except for 80% of my sps. I’m trying to get to a point I can grow them. The biggest thing I notice otherwise is a couple of hammers look pretty stressed lately.

Most tanks rapidly deplete iodine, so if it is low now, you'll likely need it again in a week or so if you want to maintain a target like 0.06 ppm.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tanks rapidly deplete iodine, so if it is low now, you'll likely need it again in a week or so if you want to maintain a target like 0.06 ppm.
So if I continue dosing it, I don’t want to go in blind. Is the salifert test kit as good as any for iodine? I don’t see too many options. The other thing is, I understand there is actually iodide and something else. And not sure what the test measure for. That was another reason I went with ATI’s iodine supplement… I figure whatever they are testing and recommended that their supplements would cover.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know if you see any difference after dosing for a while.

I never saw a benefit from dosing iodine for years compared to after I stopped dosing any.

Tropic Marin increased their iodine amount in AFR. Having a similar view on iodine I raised the question why pick iodine...

I'm in the camp a hobbyist will not see anything but it will make them feel good.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’ve only dosed for 2 days. Today will be the last recommended dose from Ati to get back to a suggested level. I have a gorgonian that has not extended polyps for a couple of months now and today there are signs of polyps. Coincidence or not I don’t know but so far this is the only change I see.

Attachments

• 0635C4DA-96D4-4754-9F8A-9C274F68C0B3.jpeg
    0635C4DA-96D4-4754-9F8A-9C274F68C0B3.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 26

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back