Dosing bacteria and running GAC?

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does running carbon media remove or inhibit the effectiveness of bacteria dosing like Microbacter7 or Waste Away?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't inhibit them, but bacteria like the cycling type found in microbacter 7 may try to attatch to the carbon when you would instead want it to stick on a permanent surface.

Are you dosing weekly? Daily?

What is your goal with the bacteria? If it is weekly maitenence, you can always take the carbon offline for a day or two. That might actually help as you can rinse off the carbon to possible clear any bacterial mulm or debris.

OP
OP
E

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I am in a battle with Ostreopsis dinos. I am running UV at night and started dosing MB7 in the morning. I have been noticing some of my snails dying so I wanted to run carbon to remove some of the toxins these dinos are supposed to create but I was just curious if it was a mistake to dose MB7 and run carbon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I am in a battle with Ostreopsis dinos. I am running UV at night and started dosing MB7 in the morning. I have been noticing some of my snails dying so I wanted to run carbon to remove some of the toxins these dinos are supposed to create but I was just curious if it was a mistake to dose MB7 and run carbon.

If it is dinos, stop dosing other bacteria until your phosphates are above 0.00. Typically dinos appear once phosphates bottom out. You can raise phosphate and then dose bacteria, but don't do it until phosphate is where it needs to be.

OP
OP
E

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thanks I should have included that. I am dosing phosphate. Tested this morning po3 at 0.1 and no3 at 4. Also dosing silicate. I am now seeing a lot of diatoms. I am seeing a lot more pods and other growth as well. My dino fight started with amphidinium but now I am seeing more ostreopsis so I added a uv which seems to be knocking them back. But I also have a lot of green cyano. My hope was that running the uv at night would kill dinos that enter the water column at lights out and dosing bacteria in the morning would help clean the tank of waste, detritus that are feeding the bad stuff. That is my thought process anyway. Hope it works.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC will minimally effect whatever it is that the bottled bacteria are doing.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back