Dosing Bottled Bacteria To Lower Ammonia?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my surviving fish from velvet are in my qt which has ammonia at 1 ppm at the moment. I’ve been dosing seachem prime as a relief, bottled bacteria, and 30% water changes. Is dosing bottled bacteria after a water change to lower the ammonia useless? Thanks

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not useless but not immediate. I've had good luck adding it to unseeded sponge filters to kick start them.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the seachem prime will remove the toxicity of ammonia in your tank. But you will still show a reading. As far as trying to recycle your tank with bottled bacteria start up, quite honestly, I can't imagine it doing any good whatsoever

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask and say two other things but first I think it's more important for me to know how old your system is. Has it ever cycled completely before you got velvet in the tank. Or has an ammonia reading been consistent and you're still trying to reduce it

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in the OP's QT tank. I assume it was just set up...but hopefully OP will chime in. Either way, dosing microbes that eat ammonia is a legit way to process ammonia.

Is there something I'm not considering? I've been surprised by how far the bacteria in a bottle products have come. When I started in this hobby they were total snake oil. Now they actually work.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in the OP's QT tank. I assume it was just set up...but hopefully OP will chime in. Either way, dosing microbes that eat ammonia is a legit way to process ammonia.

Is there something I'm not considering? I've been surprised by how far the bacteria in a bottle products have come. When I started in this hobby they were total snake oil. Now they actually work.
Qt or DT,was the tank in guestion ever completely cycled?

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, a QT tank is just set up. Now, how many surviving fish do you have? How large is your quarantine tank? You have an ammonia reading of one part per million but your dosing Prime. That should handle the toxicity of the ammonia. Bottled bacteria does work . But I can't understand why you're buying and dumping bottled bacteria. Why do you want to try to cycle this tank or if that's what you're trying to do. Just do water changes. That will reduce then eliminate the ammonia, assuming the QT tank is not overloaded

Back