Dosing carbonates and phosphates automaticaly with ATO

datom80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I can't understand chemistry, so I have the following question: if I mix sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) or sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) with monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) and dissolve it in distilled water, won't any of the elements precipitate over time? Will it remain stable when dissolved in water? I will briefly explain why I am asking: I have a reef tank in which distilled water is automatically added instead of evaporated water, and every day I add sodium carbonate separately and monopotassium phosphate separately to replenish the carbonates and phosphate consumed by the aquarium inhabitants daily. I want to mix these two substances in distilled water (of course, taking into account the daily dosage) and thus fill the lack of elements in the aquarium at once and automatically.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on how much you are trying to dissolve. Sodium bicarbonate will be the limiting solubility compound, and the phosphate will convert some of the carbonate into bicarbonate.

if the total volume is enough to dissolve all of the carbonate and bicarbonate as if it were all bicarbonate, you will be good to go.

in typical ato volumes, there’s should be no issue.

OP
OP
datom80

datom80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thanks for the answer, the doses are very small, 0.002g KH2PO4 and 1.6g sodium carbonate per 15 liter of distilled water. and it will be added to the aquarium within two weeks, since the daily evaporation is 1 liter per day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thanks for the answer, the doses are very small, 0.002g KH2PO4 and 1.6g sodium carbonate per 15 liter of distilled water. and it will be added to the aquarium within two weeks, since the daily evaporation is 1 liter per day.

Those will be fine to mix.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back