OP
OP
jsanchez

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the tank again today, did not do a water change yet. Copper is reading a constant 0.32~0.35 with 5 tests. The poly filter pads are all dark blue which means they absorbed copper. Safe to say copper is leaching out of the rocks. For now I'll wait about 2~3 days in between water changes to allow the rocks time to leach more Cu.

ihateSpirorbids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Spirorbid worm infestation, and I am considering nuking my tank with copper to get rid of them. I really hate these guys, I have enough nutrient exporters that I don't care for these worms existing in my tank. This thread is really insightful, but could you answer some questions?

- Did you put all your invertebrates in a separate tank while you dosed your main tank with copper?
- Given that you've started this project on March, how long do you recommend waiting for the copper to be removed from the tank so that it'll be safe to add back the inverts?
- Did add the copper solve your issue permanentely?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you would have to remove the inverts (although funny enough I had the one giant hermit crab that full strength CopperSafe could never kill. He stayed in the overflow. Lol.) Although it’s possible that inverts can be returned to the tank once all the copper is out, most people go into the idea of nuking the tank with the understanding that they may never have inverts again. But to be honest, most people who run a FOWLR tank, especially a larger one, usually have one or more fish that would eat inverts… So it’s a moot point to worry about them because they don’t have them to begin with.

Is it possible to take your rocks out one by one? Because if if it is the Spiorbid worms that are your concern, I’ll take my rocks out and with some needle nose pliers I bust them off the rock at the base and that kills them.

Last edited:

SLVRADO

Dakota Reef Keepers Founder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the tank again today, did not do a water change yet. Copper is reading a constant 0.32~0.35 with 5 tests. The poly filter pads are all dark blue which means they absorbed copper. Safe to say copper is leaching out of the rocks. For now I'll wait about 2~3 days in between water changes to allow the rocks time to leach more Cu.
Any update to this?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back