Dosing food-soaked Metroplex in DT

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who have experience with this, were any inverts or corals harmed? My beautiful copperband has white stringy poop (and it’s all curly and looks like a worm) and I’m sooo worried about him, I’ve had him for over a year and I spent nearly 2 months nursing him back to health from near death.

I’ve quarantined literally everything wet in my tank, no idea how intestinal worms made their way in, but I suspect he’s not the only one. I sold my QT set up so separating any fish is not an option.

I have a cleaner shrimp, 8 anemones, a million snails, conchs, serpent stars, porcelain crabs, maybe more. I will use a binder for the food, but how deadly is metroplex if they happen to get some? I feel like it’s inevitable, but I’d rather save my fish when it comes down to it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who have experience with this, were any inverts or corals harmed? My beautiful copperband has white stringy poop (and it’s all curly and looks like a worm) and I’m sooo worried about him, I’ve had him for over a year and I spent nearly 2 months nursing him back to health from near death.

I’ve quarantined literally everything wet in my tank, no idea how intestinal worms made their way in, but I suspect he’s not the only one. I sold my QT set up so separating any fish is not an option.

I have a cleaner shrimp, 8 anemones, a million snails, conchs, serpent stars, porcelain crabs, maybe more. I will use a binder for the food, but how deadly is metroplex if they happen to get some? I feel like it’s inevitable, but I’d rather save my fish when it comes down to it.
Unless you fed soaked all fish with food, it’s possible one had it and it spread.

Food soak API General Cure (contains both metronidazole and praziquantel) for 14 days up to 20 days or until poops turn back to normal.

Food soaking is reef safe if used with the seachem focus binder.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you fed soaked all fish with food, it’s possible one had it and it spread.

Food soak API General Cure (contains both metronidazole and praziquantel) for 14 days up to 20 days or until poops turn back to normal.

Food soaking is reef safe if used with the seachem focus binder.
So metro and kana plex won't work? Or are you saying it's better to just buy the general cure? Because I already have metro and kana.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So metro and kana plex won't work? Or are you saying it's better to just buy the general cure? Because I already have metro and kana.
Ignore that message I wrote. I read from @Jay Hemdal that food soaking medicine is not effective. I will let him guide you. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore that message I wrote. I read from @Jay Hemdal that food soaking medicine is not effective. I will let him guide you. :)

Soaking food in an unknown amount of medication won’t work, and it will rinse off at about the same rate as it soaked in.
Binding the medication to the food with Focus or in a gelatin matrix works. However, you still need to calculate the correct dose and that can be tough.
Here is my post about that:

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope, you can’t get the dose right except by accident. I just posted a link in my response above.
Jay
Jay, I recently saw this:

Any thoughts? I’ve not used it nor am I affiliated, but it seems ultra convenient.

i imagine the dose is hard to get right no matter what method because it’s probably near impossible to get the fish to eat ever piece of food (unless you starve them for a few days first.)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I recently saw this:

Any thoughts? I’ve not used it nor am I affiliated, but it seems ultra convenient.

i imagine the dose is hard to get right no matter what method because it’s probably near impossible to get the fish to eat ever piece of food (unless you starve them for a few days first.)
That product could be great - if they calculate the dose correctly. Metro has a pretty wide dose range 5000ppm to 10000ppm, but it is bitter and fish tend to avoid the higher doses.
Jay

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That product could be great - if they calculate the dose correctly. Metro has a pretty wide dose range 5000ppm to 10000ppm, but it is bitter and fish tend to avoid the higher doses.
Jay
Its quite cheap too... I thought about picking some up just to have on hand, but I'm not sure the shelf life of it considering it would be a just in case thing.

I'll have to do a search and see if anyone has used it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quite cheap too... I thought about picking some up just to have on hand, but I'm not sure the shelf life of it considering it would be a just in case thing.

I'll have to do a search and see if anyone has used it.
I just looked at the picture again on my computer (I was on my phone before) - the label says 1% metronidazole, which is a full oral dose, so this could be a really helpful product. Funny thing, we've ordered from that company for years, but my staff makes up the order for me, so I never saw this product. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to link to it on the disease forum.

Jay

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just looked at the picture again on my computer (I was on my phone before) - the label says 1% metronidazole, which is a full oral dose, so this could be a really helpful product. Funny thing, we've ordered from that company for years, but my staff makes up the order for me, so I never saw this product. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to link to it on the disease forum.

Jay
Hey that’s awesome! Finally I got to contribute something back to the forums that have been so helpful to me over the last year. Glad I brought it up!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back