Dosing hydrogen peroxide for reef tank

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with red wire algae, brown stringy algae and Bryopsis, would like to dose with hydrogen peroxide but not sure what the dosing is, I have a 40 gal cube with corals and fish. Does anyone have advice? Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with red wire algae, brown stringy algae and Bryopsis, would like to dose with hydrogen peroxide but not sure what the dosing is, I have a 40 gal cube with corals and fish. Does anyone have advice? Thank you

I'd be surprised if in tank hydrogen peroxide dosing is going to eliminate those pests.

Brown stringy may de dinos, and may be the biggest concern. There are a number of good ways to try to outcompete dinos, but hydrogen peroxide is not generally a solution.

Are you tracking nitrate and phosphate?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide kills algae indiscriminately.
Your corals may not like that much.
I killed a ton of sticks with a dose of 3% HP at 1ml per 10 gallon, alternating days, 3 doses.
I’ll,never use that stuff again.

Got more success adding phyto, bacteria and stabilizing nutrients.

OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide kills algae indiscriminately.
Your corals may not like that much.
I killed a ton of sticks with a dose of 3% HP at 1ml per 10 gallon, alternating days, 3 doses.
I’ll,never use that stuff again.

Got more success adding phyto, bacteria and stabilizing nutrients.

OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my nitrates are 0 , my phosphate is 0.03, alk 9, calcium 472, mag 1400. I did add a new hydra 32, am ramping up to full program. I will take any advice, thank you

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my nitrates are 0 , my phosphate is 0.03, alk 9, calcium 472, mag 1400. I did add a new hydra 32, am ramping up to full program. I will take any advice, thank you
Zero of either Nitrate and Phosphate is a very bad number and may trigger those pest type algaes and allow them to outcompete the good guys which keep our sands white and rocks clean.

Your Alk, CA and MG are good so you just need to bump your nitrate and phosphate upwards. The easiest way is to use something like Neo-Nitro to push nitrate to a stable number between 5-10ppm and Neo-Phos to push your 0.03ppm to .1ppm ish and keep both stable.

I’m ok with 0.03ppm phosphate if true but lately we have been finding that on many test kits including Hanna, the 0.03ppm reading was actually zero when taking into account, test kit margin of error. Running .1ppm ensures we have “some” in the water.

Without nitrate and phosphate, all living things die, including those things which we can’t see, but are there.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2 is indiscriminate and can harm anything. If you add enough to oxidize some algae cells, you can bet that some fish cells, corals cells and anything else are impacted too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the brown stringy stuff is algae, then you need more consumers. You don't have to have any measurable end/waste products for the algae to get more than enough nitrogen, phosphorous and carbon to grow well. Bryopsis can be harder, but manual removal and then something at eats to the roots works well - urhcins, but you can need a handful of them.

If that stuff is dinos, then you can poison them with higher waste products (temporary) or get something else to move into the neighborhood where they cannot sign a contract and buy a residence. Most dino issues in the modern reefing world is that they they have better real estate agents and mover and can settle before anybody else gets to town.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back