Is peroxide dosing safe for a sea hare?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start dosing hydrogen peroxide as a general pesticide(primarily against hair algae, excess chaeto, and dinoflagellates), but I don't want to kill my new sea hare, who is doing very good work on excess algae and is incredibly adorable. Is it safe for me to dose peroxide? Is there a maximum dose that I can use to kill things without damaging the bunny?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide is also a form of carbon dosing, so it can cause bacteria blooms and bottom out nutrients so it's pretty important to be very conservative of dosing it. It is safe as long as it's done to the right amount, which ive been told is 1ml of 3% peroxide for every 10gal (not guaranteing as i dont do it). Carbon dosing can also feed bad bacteria so it could bring up cyano if you had a small amount somewhere which most of us do. So if you want to use it to spot treat stuff, that'd be totally fine. But just dosing because of what could happen? I wouldn't. Just my personal opinion of course

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide is also a form of carbon dosing, so it can cause bacteria blooms and bottom out nutrients so it's pretty important to be very conservative of dosing it. It is safe as long as it's done to the right amount, which ive been told is 1ml of 3% peroxide for every 10gal (not guaranteing as i dont do it). Carbon dosing can also feed bad bacteria so it could bring up cyano if you had a small amount somewhere which most of us do. So if you want to use it to spot treat stuff, that'd be totally fine. But just dosing because of what could happen? I wouldn't. Just my personal opinion of course
How does peroxide increase carbon? It'll be applied alongside nitrate dosing so bacterial consequences should be fine, but the molecule itself doesn't contain carbon.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a sea hare whose diet is made up of primarily algae and you want to eradicate its food source, effectively starving it to death. And you are asking if dosing peroxide will harm it...
I will let you think think about that for a bit.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look up carbon dosing and you'll understand what I'm saying... but I'd say just don't do it unless you're just spot treating hair algea. And don't go over 1ml per 10gal. Otherwise you'll have a cloudy mess of a tank and your ph will plumet.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a sea hare whose diet is made up of primarily algae and you want to eradicate its food source, effectively starving it to death. And you are asking if dosing peroxide will harm it...
I will let you think think about that for a bit.
I am asking if the peroxide will directly damage it. I don't worry about its food source because it's not intended to stay in my tank after the issue is resolved.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look up carbon dosing and you'll understand what I'm saying... but I'd say just don't do it unless you're just spot treating hair algea. And don't go over 1ml per 10gal. Otherwise you'll have a cloudy mess of a tank and your ph will plumet.
I read some articles on carbon dosing but did not see hydrogen peroxide mentioned. What is the mechanism by which this function?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does anyone know if the brand of bacteria makes a difference when trying to introduce competitors to dinoflagellates? Are there species that work better than others?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just dosing some bacteria can help. Don't think you can get individual bacteria colonies as far as I know. And sorry about the carbon dosing part I really don't know what I was thinking about. But the correct dose for h2o2 is 1ml per 10gal, I know that much.
Microbactor is what I've herd used to try and outcompete with cyano and dinos. Reefbum was doing that for a good while I believe

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start dosing hydrogen peroxide as a general pesticide(primarily against hair algae, excess chaeto, and dinoflagellates), but I don't want to kill my new sea hare, who is doing very good work on excess algae and is incredibly adorable. Is it safe for me to dose peroxide? Is there a maximum dose that I can use to kill things without damaging the bunny?
Dosing peroxide does nothing against hair algae. Been there, done that. The concentration needed for that would be around 0.3% which would also kill everything else. You need to inject the peroxide directly into the turf while the flow is off. Or scrub the stone outside of the tank with at least 3%, higher is better.
UV was far more efficient against dinos than any safe amount of peroxide I tried in my tank.

Btw peroxide doesn't contain carbon. It's H2O2.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dose an oxidising agent like H2O2 to any tank containing animals.

It is a current fad for sure.

If you wish to use it against algae, use it outside the tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydrogen peroxide is not in any way similar to carbon dosing.
It contains no carbon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back