Dosing into Roller Filter???

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a roller filter a few months back...never again will I ever go back to filter socks. What a game changer.

Had an idea pop into my head on another potential use of a filter roller and wanted to throw it out their for feedback.

I dose 2 part in my tank like many others and one thing I've always had a challenging dealing with is Alk and Ca build up in the dosing area. Putting a powerhead in front of the dosing location helps immensely but still over many months, it always ends up building up again.

My idea is that I could drill a couple holes in the side of filter roller housing and dose my 2 part directly into the filter roller chamber since this is a high flow area. My thinking is that roller filter will catch the Alk and Cal sediments before they build up into deposits. It'd also allow me to remove the power head from my sump, one less piece of equipment to clean and deal with.

Thoughts?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thoughts/concerns are that it might pull stuff out before it gets into the water column thus messing up your dosing and parameter #s.

good idea tho im sure there is potential

OP
OP
LongBeachReefer562

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thoughts/concerns are that it might pull stuff out before it gets into the water column thus messing up your dosing and parameter #s.

good idea tho im sure there is potential
That's a great point! thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like I just need to test out the concept and monitor my Alk/Ca daily until I can reach a conclusion.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great point! thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like I just need to test out the concept and monitor my Alk/Ca daily until I can reach a conclusion.
i havent used one but i understand how it works but if the speed is slow enough i think it might work. I think best bet is testing it like you proposed and keep thread updated im really curious

OP
OP
LongBeachReefer562

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent used one but i understand how it works but if the speed is slow enough i think it might work. I think best bet is testing it like you proposed and keep thread updated im really curious
Yeah you get the concept. My roller comes out nice and yellow and dirty so I'm guessing it should be slow enough.

I'm actually moving tomorrow though so once my tank gets settled in and all my params stabilize after the move I'm going to give this a whirl.

Might be a month or so but I'll let ya know how this works out.

OP
OP
LongBeachReefer562

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this idea end up working for you?
I haven’t had a chance to test out the concept yet. I recently moved and my tank crashed…when everything stabilizes I’m going to give this a whirl.

I did buy some bulk head fittings and am going to drill into the side of the roller to mount the tubing.

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had a chance to test out the concept yet. I recently moved and my tank crashed…when everything stabilizes I’m going to give this a whirl.

I did buy some bulk head fittings and am going to drill into the side of the roller to mount the tubing.
Keep us updated!!

Back