Dosing iquatics Alk buffer

Atlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Ive been manually adding 1g of the iQuatics alk/ph buffer daily which is keeping the Alk in check on my fluval evo 52l. I have now become the proud owner of a Kamoer doser which I plan to ramp up the usage of over the next few months.

Until then, my plan was going to be to dissolve 10 grams of the buffer into 100ml of solution (Or 50g into 500ml, you get the idea) and dose this at 10ml a day (2.5ml per 4h)

The buffer is designed to be added as a dry powder directly to the tank, but ive actually be disolving in RO before pouring in as my corals arnt a fan when i add it dry. Is my plan stupid? Will I have / does anyone foresee any issues?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't designed to be added as a dry powder, and its best if you don't. Very few additives are best added dry, and this isn't one of them.

You may be able to dissolve 10 g/100mL, but if not, just use more water.

OP
OP
A

Atlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't designed to be added as a dry powder, and its best if you don't. Very few additives are best added dry, and this isn't one of them.

You may be able to dissolve 10 g/100mL, but if not, just use more water.
Good to hear, the instructions for it state "

Simply sprinkle the required amount of powder to a high flow area of your sump or aquarium​

" which did seem strange, I'll see what the max I can dissolve before it starts settling and then start dosing slowly. Ideally ill move to something slightly better designed but seems silly to waste what i have.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, the instructions for it state "

Simply sprinkle the required amount of powder to a high flow area of your sump or aquarium​

" which did seem strange, I'll see what the max I can dissolve before it starts settling and then start dosing slowly. Ideally ill move to something slightly better designed but seems silly to waste what i have.

Thanks

Like most alk supplements, it is just a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate. It is fine to use, but ignore their advice on how to use it.

Two concerns with adding dry solids are

1. the undissolved solids landing on delicate organisms and driving local chemicals out of the norm (pH, alk, salinity)
2. The extra high alk and pH near the dissolving particle can driver precipitation of calcium carbonate

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back