OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much color, and things looks great! It's amazing how many coral you've got in a 28gal, I love the placement efficiency.
We'll see how efficient my placement was in time(I dont think it was that efficient lol). There's a reason I left a lot of those acros on their plugs. I expect I'll be moving things quite a bit in 3-6 months.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions from a local frag swap. Lord knows where I'm going to fit them. I'll have to get rid of a few and move stuff again. I really need to upgrade.

Thanks @Ultraman

BC Thanksgiving Milli
AM-JKLXQYUb8Ir0YElncg8TvnCQaXscsOE1oPfVn15IVPMTReJjUf1xYN-EGEkGJ_gWFJFzrzm4V0LvsUk_LANoRBsEgpUsLyu2EENBiQq9EjrUfewMpt4D8v94ePbWoYVLZOQ9l-BfT1yi5A1XzbhFY7uKt=w1737-h978-no

Copps Bella Acro
AM-JKLWU4-45bwed0VfRrMTYi4OKvU7uvNUtiJcg3HNMsBj1qrWfUyr658Qg0rFyYPFTstBCdmBWfn3d1Va-cdeGz6RDsb7Afl3NrWHeOf7qf2I5wsI9Y212J4rjSLD56mirSjrYsqsAigUFD0ugP5e4XZgk=w1737-h978-no

Blue Monster Tort
AM-JKLU0ISQDfewYOVwH5uCq4vB-L-vBdtF6Hsvb1xccZQ6c-4s5soCwi_8OeGNm04kwUd9W0RwboODoU4c5c2WkumSBGYw1cCsd7HW1m180q6DQhVHe-HdZm9cZGfaCs5K5-qJg-fKdh_B-MEfEGSJ3FkoR=w1737-h978-no

Diablo Milli
AM-JKLWeZlUqP2rg0sbbVMcivFVqypwhCTQuWjriBZ4Q1pse9u77m7T3juAb_22NNzGL1kqct64TDeXg83L2qoMGfh2MzIiaovj_g0sz8Dh5hukWPGE731BbHxY9wLLnNVWcXCplSjFTVd9atMrDsehIf3Lm=w1737-h978-no

Green Digitata
AM-JKLUqzLgM4DtrIMZDemMdV3QG8uzANjAwtiyW7JqeEYlTAOpFqFUSTphxXUIoS21snx9F7otrszDYRbw2LBnPokJ9QQdjkTtMBvuM7XNlmadlfUpUefiHxB1mkWo1R-3wwhKhDegyumjxuF_4EDGENAH8=w1737-h978-no

AM-JKLWYlTNerwweIE5fhipBDCIp_skv9f2O56mJgQVa2AMXT4cpZUGUcjp_0iFtpDeJo8Kkb-YWgLciMxliALvXyGY_0LavXgi7OcU8yeIwAtWMOxuUF6o71Ukngsp_j5FRfYQ_9p4icx3aXwnX-rpxsUbV=w724-h1286-no

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice additions! I've got a green digi as well that's finally starting to rebound after I glued it the wrong direction. Hopefully looks like yours at some point.

Also upgrade, gonna get a bigger tank?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice additions! I've got a green digi as well that's finally starting to rebound after I glued it the wrong direction. Hopefully looks like yours at some point.

Also upgrade, gonna get a bigger tank?
The idea is to go as big as I can without having to upgrade the majority of my equipment. But also not so big that I'm spending a fortune on maintenance.

I've determined that to be 30x30x18-20". About 70g. It would not be a wall to wall tank, but more of an island lagoon style with lots of swimming space around all sides. This would mean my single coralcare fixture would be more than adequate. Two nero 3s and two mp10s should be able to handle all the flow. I'd have to buy the tank, skimmer, return pump, and more rock to get it going. I would build the stand and sump.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up you have here! Keep me in mind if you need to get rid of more snails ;)
Thank you!

Their numbers have gone down. I think something in the tank got a taste for them. I was able to grab 8 of them for @SaltyT earlier today. They're easy to get off the glass or sand bed, but man are they tough to pull off the rocks. Felt like I was going to tear them in half, so I gave up on those ones.

When they spawn again and I see a million babies, I'll gather them up in a specimen box and let the locals know!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is gonna speed up the upgrade process............

I had been casually chatting with a custom acrylic builder and now I think I may pull the trigger. Apparently he can get me the new tank in 3-4 weeks. I was considering acrylic since it's more affordable, but was freaked out by scratching. Well....not being able to crack is starting to seem worthwhile.

Barely bumped it with a glass pyrex measuring cup. Never should have had that near the tank, but I couldn't find my usual plastic cup I scoop with. I don't think it's gonna leak. There's maybe an 1/8 of a inch of silicone still sealed to unbroken glass.

I've got a hydros leak rope on the way and I am going to grab a temporary holding container if things do go south.

Be more careful than me, folks!

AM-JKLVRDxUvQqFu0bNkxHo9MPhfL-0UJ4bJb7xN2m89M_ALwLv_YqgVKlruu-QiTvrHtbXinQysBgcweN5qcnC6p32F0bY-QVKhR0U-ZJ7mhYIm2bCCXCVl7K27xpvoTfr6Exufp2cRkKSIrEyP-_tcRvi1=w721-h1281-no

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leaks yet. I pulled the trigger on a custom acrylic tank tonight. =O

30x30x18, 1/2" acrylic, 4.5" eurobrace, 22x3.5x8 bean animal external overfow(was going for coast to coast). Black 3/8 back, white 3/8 bottom. I believe this build will be bare bottom. To apparently be shipped by next Wednesday by Advanced Acrylics. They were willing to expedite given the circumstances.

So I need to build a new stand quick. Figure either a temporary sump unless I can source or build one in time. I had been drafting some upgrade plans. I planned on an oversized stand and sump. I wanted to have room for a frag tank below.

This is all happening a lot faster than intended.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!! Can't wait to see the new tank! Are you going to start a new build thread for it or just convert this one?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're joining the cube ranks! Welcome! I'm at 18x18x18, should be interesting to see your scape.
The scape potential has me very excited. :)

Sweet!! Can't wait to see the new tank! Are you going to start a new build thread for it or just convert this one?
I'm not sure. Probably start a new one since it's no longer an AIO.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. Probably start a new one since it's no longer an AIO.
Ah yes, forgot this was in the AIO forum - new build thread it is! Tag me when you start it :)

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too lazy to start a new build thread yet, so I'll keep it going here for now.

I bought a 52x32x12 rubbermaid 50 gallon stock tank for $70. This will act as my sump...in the basement! This was not the plan, but it's going to make things easier I believe. It will be directly below the tank. Right next to the RO station. There's a floor drain 3ft away. I'll be tapping a drain on it and plumbing it for ezpz water changes. I think I'm going to ditch the optical ATO. Build a platform above this sump to hold 5-10g of top off water. It'll operate by a simple float valve.

This basement is 100+ years old and a mess. I had some leaking issues for a while, but recently resolved that. I'll be doing my best to spruce it up today and hopefully maybe build a stand for the 30x30 as well.

AM-JKLUpOzA94P4yrSgCYImxx3Y12m2QgNwzOoGmauHkeol-7EfXr9U9POFb9CFOrri3P_DBncCVg_ahR-myMyeCL1QsVW4XjOvfs5Nnp3NCiTTCS09nIExgHc4e4tpj7-Ggo_nS1aCPkV8kaPLO8Aovm-2L=w1737-h978-no

I think for my return I'm going to get a Jebao DCP-10000. As far as I'm aware, these are considered very reliable and are hard to beat at $125. If you know of other good options that don't break the bank, please let me know.

I'll be trying a refugium for the first time. I'm going to do a Coral Euphoria inspired "bucket refugium". Probably order that $26 Acke light off Amazon. Chaeto and ulva most likely.

Skimmer is still up in the air. I'd love to find something used. I don't plan on using socks or any medias, so this and the fuge will be my primary nutrient export.

There will eventually be a frag section in this sump, but is a very low priority.

For the display, I need to decide on what kind of rock I want to add. I have about 20lbs total in my current tank. It will all be transferring over obviously. I'm guessing I'll want another 20-30lbs. I just can't decide if I should go all dry or a combination of dry and Florida aquacultured. I can get 10lbs of FL live rock for about $110 shipped.

That's about it for now. Wish me luck. :)

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon sump is no joke, so much room for activities! Jealous of all you basement-below-the-tank-people, it's just not an option here in SoCal. Interested in seeing how you set up the refugium in the Rubbermaid.

I've heard good things overall about Jebao, so I doubt you'll regret it (just be sure to buy new imo.)

If I could do it again I probably wouldn't have gone all out for my Nyos skimmer. I have plenty of adjustment issues with it nearly weekly and I bet others would be similar. Premium price for standard usage.

Difficult choice on live/dry rock. Seems you've had good luck so far with your hitchhikers, so you could keep that going. Another thread I read a mantis shrimp hitch hiked and killed a ton of fish. Horrible luck there. I'd personally only do some LR, because you get the benefits of it without also buying so much you can't observe HH easily.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i was not able to get around to it yesterday but found that skimmer i have and put it together/tested it this morning and it seems to work fine if interested. One issue is in second picture i seemed to have lost one of the rubber feet. Hopefully video works. Thats in 7" of water so adjusted to max(think it supposed to be 9" to 11"). Anyway make me an offer if interested or if you just want to borrow it awhile while you find one thats fine

IMG_20211121_104434.jpg

IMG_20211121_104423.jpg

IMG_20211121_104442.jpg

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon sump is no joke, so much room for activities! Jealous of all you basement-below-the-tank-people, it's just not an option here in SoCal. Interested in seeing how you set up the refugium in the Rubbermaid.

I've heard good things overall about Jebao, so I doubt you'll regret it (just be sure to buy new imo.)

If I could do it again I probably wouldn't have gone all out for my Nyos skimmer. I have plenty of adjustment issues with it nearly weekly and I bet others would be similar. Premium price for standard usage.

Difficult choice on live/dry rock. Seems you've had good luck so far with your hitchhikers, so you could keep that going. Another thread I read a mantis shrimp hitch hiked and killed a ton of fish. Horrible luck there. I'd personally only do some LR, because you get the benefits of it without also buying so much you can't observe HH easily.
There is definitely a lot of room for activities!

There was a $150 well used Nyos on the marketplace for quite a while. Went to look for it recently and it was gone. I've heard good and bad things. What do you think is causing all the adjustment issues? I saw an old school AquaC 180 somewhere as well. That kind of intrigued me as I used to own one of their skimmers a long time ago.

Going with all dry just kinda freaks me out. I've become a believer in bacterial diversity and spreading out what I have over that much new dry makes me uncomfortable. I don't want my tank to regress at all in that regard. That's unavoidable I suppose. But I'm leaning heavily towards the 10lbs live and maybe another 10-20lbs in dry.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely a lot of room for activities!

There was a $150 well used Nyos on the marketplace for quite a while. Went to look for it recently and it was gone. I've heard good and bad things. What do you think is causing all the adjustment issues? I saw an old school AquaC 180 somewhere as well. That kind of intrigued me as I used to own one of their skimmers a long time ago.

Going with all dry just kinda freaks me out. I've become a believer in bacterial diversity and spreading out what I have over that much new dry makes me uncomfortable. I don't want my tank to regress at all in that regard. That's unavoidable I suppose. But I'm leaning heavily towards the 10lbs live and maybe another 10-20lbs in dry.

Unsure what's causing all the issues with my Nyos. Two weeks ago everything was running well, and then one day it just started overflowing like crazy. No sump water level changes. I had to adjust it from nearly fully closed (raise water level) to now nearly fully open (lower water level.) No clear reason why, but it's operating well again, despite the 180 adjustment needs.

Even if you go with all new dry rock, you're bringing 20+ lbs of live rock from your current system aren't you? Seems to me like you have a nice 'base' of LR to quick-start your new tank no matter how much dry you end up needing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back