Dosing Kalk the first day, results so far. Can you help?

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am dosing ROWAN Kalk mix using dripping method since yesterday and after 24 hours I tested the water. I am using Marin Pro salt, and wanted to push ALK a bit higher.
In the last 24hours it dripped approx 1000ml of solution (drop per 2 secs) - one teaspoon per 2 litres of water.
Tank is 48G (182 litres) it evaporates more per 24 hours than I added kalk.

The results now (afternoon in my time zone):

Ca: 475
pH: 8.5 (bit high right?)
ALK: 6.5 (no change!)

How shall I interpret this? What shall I change.

Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am dosing ROWAN Kalk mix using dripping method since yesterday and after 24 hours I tested the water. I am using Marin Pro salt, and wanted to push ALK a bit higher.
In the last 24hours it dripped approx 1000ml of solution (drop per 2 secs) - one teaspoon per 2 litres of water.
Tank is 48G (182 litres) it evaporates more per 24 hours than I added kalk.

The results now (afternoon in my time zone):

Ca: 475
pH: 8.5 (bit high right?)
ALK: 6.5 (no change!)

How shall I interpret this? What shall I change.

Thank you!
Kalk is meant to maintain. I would get alkalinity to desired level and then see if the kalk maintains that's level over time.

Can use simple baking soda to raise alkalinity

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is meant to maintain. I would get alkalinity to desired level and then see if the kalk maintains that's level over time.

Can use simple baking soda to raise alkalinity

I do not have Mg test unfortunately.
Would you know how much baking soda shall I add and apply? I was hoping to push alk by 1.5-2 points at least (so two days)

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity may be worth checking at that level. Also verification of your alk test results.

I agree with @MikeCRK that dosing in this form is better for maintaining and you will need to use the alk part of a 2 part to reach your desired level.

However, in that small of a tank, if your alk fell to that level, and your PH is that high, i would start suspecting percipitation, and check your calcium as well.

Edit: I missed the calc level you had in your post. Also, if you can post your starting values

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity may be worth checking at that level. Also verification of your alk test results.

I agree with @MikeCRK that dosing in this form is better for maintaining and you will need to use the alk part of a 2 part to reach your desired level.

However, in that small of a tank, if your alk fell to that level, and your PH is that high, i would start suspecting percipitation, and check your calcium as well.

Edit: I missed the calc level you had in your post. Also, if you can post your starting values

Ca was given in the first post: 475
Just checked salinity: 1026

it is new tank, I am not dosing anything apart kalk from yesterday

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be using KALK to raise alkalinity, it will have too much of an impact on PH.

8.5pH during the day is a nice number to have IMO but you first need to get you alkalinity to where you want it before dosing/dripping KALK. If alkalinity stayed steady with your current drip rate then leave it where it is and use an ATO to supplement any additional evaporation.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be using KALK to raise alkalinity, it will have too much of an impact on PH.

8.5pH during the day is a nice number to have IMO but you first need to get you alkalinity to where you want it before dosing/dripping KALK. If alkalinity stayed steady with your current drip rate then leave it where it is and use an ATO to supplement any additional evaporation.

yeah, especially it is almost the end of the day in my time zone. I will play with it later when there will be a need, but now I believe I should pump up ALK up. So there is an idea for adding baking soda, but how much shall I use in my tank to get it up 1.5-2 points?

I have dosing pump on the way. so then it will be easier to control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back