IPC results and my dosing- I have questions - Maybe someone has answers, lol (Shocked to see lithium)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is my first IPC, so please bare with me.

Sorry for the audio on the video, I shared it with someone when I had found a small patch of bryopsis. It was the easiest video I had to share, maybe best to mute me, I will never be a youtube star :) Downloading has the best resolution.

130ish gallon mixed reef. The tank is established >4 years. Been working through GHA issues. Isuing I/O Reef Crystals. Can be seen here:

I do 10-15% water changes every week.

Question:
Please take a look at my test below (link attached). I was shocked to see high lithium. Since I am balling, and as you read, I think I screwed up my calcium dosing amount. Could I be overdosing trace elements causing lithium to spike?

I have been hovering at 1350 on my mag, but Triton says it's low. I am not sure I understand this. Their numbers match both my Hanna and my Salifert results. They recommend a dosing amount, since I put that I dose BRS 2 part balling, are those dosing amounts in my product or are they in their products? Also for example, I have RedSea Iodine, potassium, etc that I could use. But am unsure if I should use their recommendations on dosing amounts considering they recommend to purchase their products.

Dosing and my schedule:
- BRS Pharma 2 part balling
- Using Apex to dose
- Per the BRS calculator I should be dosing >115ML a day of ALK I have backed it down 3 times an can't seem to settle the numbers down
- I am currently dosing 8ML 12 times a day. I also dose Calcium the same exact amount on the opposite hour 8ML 12 times a day. Part C is hourly, so 24 times a day 8ML.
QUESTION: I think I screwed up, I didn't measure how much calcium consumption was taking place, I simply matched my ALK consumption. I thought I read that somewhere, but cannot find it now. Should I measure cal consumption to come up with it's own dosing amount? My cal numbers are high.

The sample I sent in was pulled from my tank on 8/13. Regarding phosphate, I guess I started running lower when I went to pull the sample I shut down all my stripping when I saw the 0.0 results and in fact upped my feedings and I am at 0.08, :). First thing I feel I have done right lately, lol.

Parameters:
(Hanna on all, Salifert for Cal & Mag with Hanna if >500 on Cal)
1692546122090.png

Test results can be found here:

I am guessing I may be the culprit of the lithium if I am in fact dosing calcium incorrectly. How would I measure consumption if I am now dosing every two hours? Should I shut the calcium dosing down for 5 days and do an average per day consumption test?

It just dawned on me that I have some ceramic biomedia in my sump. Could this be the cause?

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithium is elevated in most systems. Once you start trending over 500-800 ug/L it’s time to looking for the source. If over 1000 I’d do a water change.

Phosphate is too low, glad to see you taking care of that.

A lot of corrections needed, but make sure not to use their recommendations with your elements. Potency will be different. Use their elements with their recommendations.

Best of luck.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust anything that you test in your own house over what comes in on an ICP, especially if you have two good tests like Hannah and Salifert. For some elements, the plasma does not test them and they do the same things that you do - a titration test.

Some ICP companies have shown high lithium on RC and other salts. Others not. Nobody knows if they actually have high lithium or if it is a byproduct of some tests, but it does not appear to hurt anything. I would not worry about this at all.

It is OK to only measure alk regularly when you are using a balanced additive like a Calcium Reactor, but when dosing calcium and alk separately, you always need to test both alk and calcium. With a CaRx, I test alk every few days, but I do test calcium ever few months just to make sure... and the calcium will wander from time to time and I need to correct a few times a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back