Dosing kalk

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally git my Versa pumps I’m using it to dose kalkwasser via my kalk stirrer i set it up to dose 1000ml from 12am to 12pm I looked at it this morning it did nothing is there something I’m doing wrong can anyone help thnks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally git my Versa pumps I’m using it to dose kalkwasser via my kalk stirrer i set it up to dose 1000ml from 12am to 12pm I looked at it this morning it did nothing is there something I’m doing wrong can anyone help thnks
Well, if nothing is being dosed you're Versa is not configured correctly :)

Out of curiosity, how do you know nothing happened? Your stirrer is continuously fed from an RODI container and as such, water level remains constant yes?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water level was low ph did t even bump either I have the Versa connected to my ato reservoir pulling from it then pushing through the kalk stirrer directly to the sump

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question was did it add any kalk? I would manually run the doser to confirm mechanical function. If the doser will add kalk then your programing must be off.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manually it works its the programming that did not do it neptune dos was much easier to program

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the tank? 2000mL per day may not be sufficient for any sizable increase in pH for a larger tank. Also, what is your current pH?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallon I recently bumped it up to 4000ml still nothing ph is 7.6 night gets up to 7.8 when lights are on

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several potential reasons associated with your low pH, but it likely has to do with having too much carbon dioxide in the tank water. My suggestions:

1) Route the air intake to your skimmer, assuming you are using one, to draw in air from the outside.
2) modify the configuration of powerheads in your aquarium to increase surface agitation at the surface of the aquarium (to help with air exchange)
3) make sure you are dosing kalk slowly over time, and the the location you are dosing it has plenty of flow. If not, you could just be precipitating calcium carbonate as quickly as you are adding the kalk.
4) run your air intake to the skimmer through a carbon dioxide adsorption media. This will work, but may not be cost effective in the end.

Please note the kalk can, and usually does, increase pH in the aquarium but that increase is typically not more than 0.1 to 0.2 pH units.

I share your pain here. I used to live in a home that was very air tight, and had chronic pH problems due to having too much carbon dioxide in the air. In my opinion the best strategy, and the one I used, was to oversize my protein skimmer and run the intake though the wall to the outside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a line already running outside my window i also have the kalk dosing into what used 2 b my refugium with a powerhead facing up to disolve it more i tried co2 scrubber but didnt even last more than 2 weeks i have even bought co2 detector its under 600 have 2 gyre powerheads almost on top of the surface i wanna run them at higher speed but its 2 much flow sand is all over the space gonna bump up the dosage and see what happens

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back