Dosing KN03 with a doser question

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by pecan2phat, Nov 8, 2018.

1. pecan2phat

pecan2phat Well-Known Member

A little confused on setting up a dosing regimen for KN03. If I utilize Jame's Planted Tank calculator, it's telling me to use 334 grams of KN03 in 3000 ml of RO/DI with 50 ml of the solution to achieve 5.01 ppm nitrate in a 180g tank.
    50 ml per day via the doser sounds like a lot. Will the daily dosing of 5.01 ppm of nitrate just accumulate and implode or am I suppose to dose once and see what the nitrates drop daily?
    Or should I start off with half the dose?
    Totally confused, help please!

Tags:

2. coral-boss

coral-boss Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I feel its always better to start with a small dose of anything then test, add, adjust as necessary. dosing nitrates is not like dosing a major element and even with those, small adjustments are always best. I don't think you'll do harm by starting off at half dose or a 1/3 dose. my opinion anyway.

3. pecan2phat

Thanks coral-boss.
    I keep the 1/2 dose on a daily regimen correct?

4. coral-boss

coral-boss Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

if I were dosing nitrates, that's probably what I would do. I don't see the harm in starting out with smaller doses and working up after testing for a few days. anything new that I begin to dose, like when I switched my 2 part dosing to 3 part balling I started out with way less than recommended just to find out the potency of the product. I always start with lower than recommended and see where I'm at after 24hrs, then add a little more and so on until I find what im looking for. should only take you a week or less to figure out what you need. sometimes doing less is more in the beginning with something new like that.

5. pecan2phat

Thanks again.
    I setup the doser for 20 ml over 10 hours vs 50 ml.
    So I'll start testing after 24 hours to see if the 2 ppm of N03 stays current, increases or decreases.

6. roberthu526

roberthu526 Valuable Member

It shouldn’t be much different from two part dosing. You dose small amount and see how much it drops daily. Then calculate how much you need to dose.

7. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Yes, trial and error is the best way to determine a daily dose. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted