Dosing lanthanum chloride into skimmer - tips

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just wanted to share a helpful tip I learned about dosing lanthanum chloride into the skimmer cup. If you don’t care to read the rest of the post here is what I have learned:

Do not dose/drip into the top of the cup. Installing extra tubing to dose further down in the skimmer body is much more effective! (Mine is sitting about 1/2inch above water line with skimmer off now)

Here’s my experience. I’ve been struggling with high phosphates in my 210g reef for quite some time. For about a year now I’ve been carbon dosing heavy with kalk saturated vinegar to keep nitrates undetectable, but phosphates have been a constant struggle to keep low. I tried gfo, but it was never enough in the amounts I could afford, I’m guessing due to the amount my rocks were leaching due to year+ of sky high phosphates. I had better success with aluminum based media brightwell extrax phos bringing down levels more quickly/noticeably but they would just come back up after treatment. I was also concerned with possibility of leaching aluminum into the water and irritating my monster sized toadstool leather so I didn’t want to continue that method. Throughout all of this I tried dosing nitrates. I run a large cheato refugium and thought extra nitrates would help remove some phosphates, assuming nitrate was a limiting nutrient in the biological export processes. This also didn’t seem to help much.

I finally landed on lanthanum chloride as being a good cost effective way to fight back against phosphates. Most people drip into a 5 micron filter sock into the sump, apparently the sock gets clogged within hours so I didn’t want to go down this route. Thru research I read some people had success dosing into the skimmer intake, but this causes white buildup in the skimmer pump and possible premature failure so I didn’t want to do that either. I also read some people were dosing/dripping directly into the top of the skimmer cup so I figured that was the method I would try. I chose two little fishies phosban-L as my lanthanum chloride product. This is essentially a more watered down version of lanthanum chloride than say commercial pool additives.

Initially I bought the iv type drip bag and was dripping small amounts daily. This was definitely having some effect on lowering phosphates but was a chore mixing it up daily so I decided to put it on a dosing pump at a 29:1 ratio rodi: phosban-L dosed hourly. For the next 50 or so days I ran like this testing frequently and continuing to raise my dose to try and keep phosphates in check. All the while my phosphates kept slowly creeping up. It finally dawned on my that I must be doing something wrong as I was dosing way too much lanthanum chloride not to see any noticeable effect.

About 4 days ago I tried adding a longer tube of rigid rodi tubing to reach further down in the skimmer cup. Since then my phosphates have been going down 0.025ppm daily. A gigantic improvement, and now I’m in normal range and reducing my daily dosage. My guess is that more dwell time with the water before being skimmed out is the reason. It also could be coincidental that my rocks have decreased leaching phosphate at the same time but I highly doubt it based on speed of reduction I instantly saw after this small change to my setup.

Well anyway this ended up being a long post but I just wanted to share this observation with anyone considering this method of phosphate reduction. If someone had told me this I could have saved a lot of time. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to share any specifics to anyone curious.

Last edited:

Goody2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just wanted to share a helpful tip I learned about dosing lanthanum chloride into the skimmer cup. If you don’t care to read the rest of the post here is what I have learned:

Do not dose/drip into the top of the cup. Installing extra tubing to dose further down in the skimmer body is much more effective! (Mine is sitting about 1/2inch above water line with skimmer off now)

Here’s my experience. I’ve been struggling with high phosphates in my 210g reef for quite some time. For about a year now I’ve been carbon dosing heavy with kalk saturated vinegar to keep nitrates undetectable, but phosphates have been a constant struggle to keep low. I tried gfo, but it was never enough in the amounts I could afford, I’m guessing due to the amount my rocks were leaching due to year+ of sky high phosphates. I had better success with aluminum based media brightwell extrax phos bringing down levels more quickly/noticeably but they would just come back up after treatment. I was also concerned with possibility of leaching aluminum into the water and irritating my monster sized toadstool leather so I didn’t want to continue that method. Throughout all of this I tried dosing nitrates. I run a large cheato refugium and thought extra nitrates would help remove some phosphates, assuming nitrate was a limiting nutrient in the biological export processes. This also didn’t seem to help much.

I finally landed on lanthanum chloride as being a good cost effective way to fight back against phosphates. Most people drip into a 5 micron filter sock into the sump, apparently the sock gets clogged within hours so I didn’t want to go down this route. Thru research I read some people had success dosing into the skimmer intake, but this causes white buildup in the skimmer pump and possible premature failure so I didn’t want to do that either. I also read some people were dosing/dripping directly into the top of the skimmer cup so I figured that was the method I would try. I chose two little fishies phosban-L as my lanthanum chloride product. This is essentially a more watered down version of lanthanum chloride than say commercial pool additives.

Initially I bought the iv type drip bag and was dripping small amounts daily. This was definitely having some effect on lowering phosphates but was a chore mixing it up daily so I decided to put it on a dosing pump at a 29:1 ratio rodi: phosban-L dosed hourly. For the next 50 or so days I ran like this testing frequently and continuing to raise my dose to try and keep phosphates in check. All the while my phosphates kept slowly creeping up. It finally dawned on my that I must be doing something wrong as I was dosing way too much lanthanum chloride not to see any noticeable effect.

About 4 days ago I tried adding a longer tube of rigid rodi tubing to reach further down in the skimmer cup. Since then my phosphates have been going down 0.025ppm daily. A gigantic improvement, and now I’m in normal range and reducing my daily dosage. My guess is that more dwell time with the water before being skimmed out is the reason. It also could be coincidental that my rocks have decreased leaching phosphate at the same time but I highly doubt it based on speed of reduction I instantly saw after this small change to my setup.

Well anyway this ended up being a long post but I just wanted to share this observation with anyone considering this method of phosphate reduction. If someone had told me this I could have saved a lot of time. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to share any specifics to anyone curious.
Do you feel confident all the flakes are being skimmed out? And when you say into the body I assume you mean through the bubbles into the vortex of the skimming action is where you dose? And you leave the skimmer on while dosing correct?

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel confident all the flakes are being skimmed out? And when you say into the body I assume you mean through the bubbles into the vortex of the skimming action is where you dose? And you leave the skimmer on while dosing correct?

Yea pretty sure none of the harmful white residue makes it into the tank. That stuff sticks to acrylic pretty good. The only place I see it collect is right where the end of the dosing tube it on the inside of my skimmer. I have to scrub that with a sponge every once in awhile. If it was making it past the skimmer I think I would be seeing it collecting around the skimmer outlet and possibly other places in my acrylic sump but I don’t have any of that. I was a little worried at first but Mr saltwater fish has a video of adding phosban-L straight to to the tank no filter sock or anything. Says he’s been doing it for a long time and never had any issues. I wouldn’t suggest that but it made me feel more comfortable.

As far as position of my dosing tube, I lift the skimmer cup lid, run the line down the inside of the skimmer from there, then place the lid back on loosely. I have the end of my tubing about 1/2 above where the water line would be if it was off, on the inside of the skimmer. My skimmer stays on 24/7. At first I thought feeding close to the same time as dosing might be an issue since the foam column collapses during feeding. But as it turns out dosing makes the skimmer foam up pretty much immediately. Has definitely increased the amount of skimmate my skimmer produces.

Goody2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea pretty sure none of the harmful white residue makes it into the tank. That stuff sticks to acrylic pretty good. The only place I see it collect is right where the end of the dosing tube it on the inside of my skimmer. I have to scrub that with a sponge every once in awhile. If it was making it past the skimmer I think I would be seeing it collecting around the skimmer outlet and possibly other places in my acrylic sump but I don’t have any of that. I was a little worried at first but Mr saltwater fish has a video of adding phosban-L straight to to the tank no filter sock or anything. Says he’s been doing it for a long time and never had any issues. I wouldn’t suggest that but it made me feel more comfortable.

As far as position of my dosing tube, I lift the skimmer cup lid, run the line down the inside of the skimmer from there, then place the lid back on loosely. I have the end of my tubing about 1/2 above where the water line would be if it was off, on the inside of the skimmer. My skimmer stays on 24/7. At first I thought feeding close to the same time as dosing might be an issue since the foam column collapses during feeding. But as it turns out dosing makes the skimmer foam up pretty much immediately. Has definitely increased the amount of skimmate my skimmer produces.
Worked great no I have to tackle nitrates for some reason but phosphates are almost gone. Thank you for the help

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked great no I have to tackle nitrates for some reason but phosphates are almost gone. Thank you for the help

Glad it worked out for you!

FWIW I find vinegar dosing great for taking care of nitrates.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you've been doing this for awhile (8 months or so), any updates? Any further modifications to your technique? Has your dosing tube every clogged with precipitate? What amount of dosing liquid are you dosing per day? Considering doing this. Thank you!

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you've been doing this for awhile (8 months or so), any updates? Any further modifications to your technique? Has your dosing tube every clogged with precipitate? What amount of dosing liquid are you dosing per day? Considering doing this. Thank you!

Good question! I’ve been using La as a single daily dose. I’m trying to figure out how to get past the skimmer neck wiper. I’m currently dosing 2.7 ml daily to maintain a PO4 of 0.06 in my 300 gal mixed reef. My nitrates run 5 steady.
And I use the STRAIGHT COMMERCIAL SPA STUFF.

I’ve read enough horror stories about crashing the phosphates. And had a very near close call, I know the dangers involved. I do not trust any dosing unit with this task. I want to measure the liquid every day with a syringe. And, I want to dose it AT NIGHT, to avoid the occasional cloudiness during viewing hours. Lastly it hand to be FAIL SAFE.
So, I made this for cheap as I could. COVID budget. Any malfunction, of any link in the chain, results only in fail of deployment. This failure is the opposite of dangerous, as I read some of our forums on the use of this

8422D71D-71DB-4CA0-9388-08EA3C27A4AA.jpeg

6790F35A-96F8-4B24-99AB-FE9D2AFDEBB9.jpeg

The key is a $15 solenoid R/O valve. I wired it to a heavy duty 10 foot extension cord. It’s a normal grounded pull the pin timer. The valve is “power off closed”. I got it an AmAZOn. Everything else I had lying around. To assemble bring a utility knife +/- heat gun.

Whenever I get up to feed the the fish, I fill it for the day. A bit of r/o water, squirt of LaCl, top up r/o water... in that order. In a hurry my, loving wife time me at a practiced pace... TWENTY SECONDS! That’s the first land speed record, in its class

Sean

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! I’ve been using La as a single daily dose. I’m trying to figure out how to get past the skimmer neck wiper. I’m currently dosing 2.7 ml daily to maintain a PO4 of 0.06 in my 300 gal mixed reef. My nitrates run 5 steady.
And I use the STRAIGHT COMMERCIAL SPA STUFF.

I’ve read enough horror stories about crashing the phosphates. And had a very near close call, I know the dangers involved. I do not trust any dosing unit with this task. I want to measure the liquid every day with a syringe. And, I want to dose it AT NIGHT, to avoid the occasional cloudiness during viewing hours. Lastly it hand to be FAIL SAFE.
So, I made this for cheap as I could. COVID budget. Any malfunction, of any link in the chain, results only in fail of deployment. This failure is the opposite of dangerous, as I read some of our forums on the use of this

8422D71D-71DB-4CA0-9388-08EA3C27A4AA.jpeg

6790F35A-96F8-4B24-99AB-FE9D2AFDEBB9.jpeg

The key is a $15 solenoid R/O valve. I wired it to a heavy duty 10 foot extension cord. It’s a normal grounded pull the pin timer. The valve is “power off closed”. I got it an AmAZOn. Everything else I had lying around. To assemble bring a utility knife +/- heat gun.

Whenever I get up to feed the the fish, I fill it for the day. A bit of r/o water, squirt of LaCl, top up r/o water... in that order. In a hurry my, loving wife time me at a practiced pace... TWENTY SECONDS! That’s the first land speed record, in its class

Sean
Thank you! But I’m a bit confused as to exactly what the solonoid is doing. So you’re mixing up the daily dose of LaCL in the morning and diluting it with RO. The solonoid stays closed and only opens at night for your automatic dosing? So the solonoid is your fail safe in case your doser tries to overdose?

Sorry I’m extrapolating based on your post. Please correct me!

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point is to make it analog, save the timer... soooo much safer than digital complex machines!

Yes, I fill it any time of day, as I do shift work. It drops it a 11 pm on the dot. With the hand valve, you can adjust the drip rate. Mine goes in over 1/2 hour. No malfunctions over 6 months. And I’ve trusted it with the house sitter.

The Entire objective was to be able to Safely dose a solution at a time when I’m not around, without spending more than $20 plus scraps.

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that sounds like a nice system you have going on. Do you drip it the same way the OP describes? With a tube deeper in skimmer body? Like if the skimmer was off, where would the tip of your dosing tube be?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tip, I have been dosing it in my nanos into the top of the skimmer cup. You are right it takes much more then it should to bring down the po4 but it does work.

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is still working well for me. I just test and adjust my dosage up and down a few ml every week or so. Dosing 19ml a day of the 29:1 phosban:rodi water diluted solution now in my 250gal system. I’ve never had a full clog in the dosing tube but it definitely collects some precipitant near the exit. Just using a tooth pick to clean it out every time I clean the skimmer probably weekly.

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isnt dosing lanthanum chloride just a bandaid fix
Probably, but when it comes to nutrient reduction couldn’t everything in the category be considered a bandaid fix? You either have to limit the amount of nutrients you are putting in (address the cause) or export more (the bandaid). I don’t want to get rid of any of my fish so I choose the bandaid. But it seems sustainable so far. We will see.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that sounds like a nice system you have going on. Do you drip it the same way the OP describes? With a tube deeper in skimmer body? Like if the skimmer was off, where would the tip of your dosing tube be?

It drips from the top of the skimmer. I have an automatic skimmer neck squeege, and I have not figured out a solution yet.

Fabio Simões

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "TheKyle, postagem: 7007129, membro: 92404"]
Olá, só queria compartilhar uma dica útil que aprendi sobre a dosagem de cloreto de lantânio no copo do skimmer. Se você não se importa em ler o resto da postagem, aqui está o que aprendi:

Não dose / pingue no topo do copo. Instalar um tubo extra para dosar mais abaixo no corpo do skimmer é muito mais eficaz! (O meu está a cerca de 1/2 polegada acima da linha da água com o skimmer desligado agora)

Aqui está minha experiência. Eu tenho lutado com altos níveis de fosfatos em meu recife de 210g por algum tempo. Há cerca de um ano venho dando uma forte dosagem de carbono com vinagre saturado de kalk para manter os nitratos indetectáveis, mas os fosfatos têm sido uma luta constante para mantê-los baixos. Eu tentei gfo, mas nunca foi o suficiente nas quantias que eu poderia pagar, eu acho que devido à quantidade que minhas rochas estavam lixiviando devido ao ano + de fosfatos altos. Tive mais sucesso com a mídia com base em alumínio Brightwell Extrax phos, reduzindo os níveis mais rapidamente / visivelmente, mas eles simplesmente voltaram a subir após o tratamento. Eu também estava preocupado com a possibilidade de lixiviar o alumínio na água e irritar meu couro de cogumelo do tamanho de um monstro, então não queria continuar com esse método. Ao longo de tudo isso, tentei dosar nitratos. Eu dirigi um grande refúgio barato e pensei que nitratos extras ajudariam a remover alguns fosfatos, assumindo que o nitrato era um nutriente limitante nos processos de exportação biológica. Isso também não pareceu ajudar muito.

Finalmente descobri que o cloreto de lantânio é uma boa maneira econômica de lutar contra os fosfatos. A maioria das pessoas pinga em uma meia com filtro de 5 mícrons no reservatório, aparentemente a meia fica entupida em poucas horas, então eu não queria seguir por esse caminho. Por meio de pesquisas, li que algumas pessoas tiveram sucesso na dosagem na ingestão do skimmer, mas isso causa acúmulo de branco na bomba do skimmer e possível falha prematura, então eu também não queria fazer isso. Eu também li que algumas pessoas estavam dosando / pingando diretamente no topo do copo do skimmer, então imaginei que esse era o método que eu tentaria. Eu escolhi dois pequenos fishies phosban-L como meu produto de cloreto de lantânio. Esta é essencialmente uma versão mais diluída do cloreto de lantânio do que, digamos, os aditivos comerciais para piscinas.

Inicialmente comprei o saco de gotejamento IV e pingava pequenas quantidades diariamente. Isso definitivamente estava tendo algum efeito na redução dos fosfatos, mas era uma tarefa árdua misturá-los diariamente, então decidi colocá-lo em uma bomba doseadora na proporção de 29: 1 rodi: phosban-L dosado de hora em hora. Pelos próximos 50 ou mais dias eu fiz testes assim com freqüência e continuei a aumentar minha dose para tentar manter os fosfatos sob controle. O tempo todo meus fosfatos continuaram subindo lentamente. Finalmente percebi que devo estar fazendo algo errado, pois estava dosando cloreto de lantânio em excesso para não ver qualquer efeito perceptível.

Cerca de 4 dias atrás, tentei adicionar um tubo mais longo de tubo rígido de rodi para alcançar mais abaixo no copo do skimmer. Desde então, meus fosfatos têm caído 0,025 ppm diariamente. Uma melhora gigantesca, e agora estou na faixa normal e reduzindo minha dosagem diária. Meu palpite é que mais tempo de permanência com a água antes de ser eliminado é a razão. Também pode ser coincidência que minhas rochas tenham diminuído a lixiviação de fosfato ao mesmo tempo, mas eu duvido muito com base na velocidade de redução que vi imediatamente após essa pequena mudança em minha configuração.

Bem, de qualquer forma, isso acabou sendo um post longo, mas eu só queria compartilhar essa observação com qualquer pessoa que esteja considerando esse método de redução de fosfato. Se alguém tivesse me contado isso, eu poderia ter economizado muito tempo. Deixe-me saber se você tiver alguma dúvida e farei o meu melhor para compartilhar quaisquer detalhes para qualquer pessoa curiosa.
[/ CITAR]

do you have photos of how it dosed inside the skimmer?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting ....

Wonder if this same theory will work in a external skimmer ?
I have a Mrc skimmer. .
The top of the collection cup comes off and I can drill and thread a fitting to drop a drip line into the belly of the beast .

but 1) where to get LACL from
Is it dry and mixed with rodi ?
How much is dosed etc

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is still working well for me. I just test and adjust my dosage up and down a few ml every week or so. Dosing 19ml a day of the 29:1 phosban:rodi water diluted solution now in my 250gal system. I’ve never had a full clog in the dosing tube but it definitely collects some precipitant near the exit. Just using a tooth pick to clean it out every time I clean the skimmer probably weekly.
out of curiosity. how much do you dose at a time and how frequently... and what doser do you use? I've been trying this, though am limited by the doser. would really like to dose a small amount every 1/2 hour, though cannot find a doser that can handle that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back