Dosing Lanthanum chloride to lower phosphate

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been trying to lower my phosphates wit gfos for the past 3 months. I haven't had much luck aside from shifting them from .95 to .84. Because I have no bad algae (GHA/Bubble) I believe that my phosphate is bonded with my rock and sand. I can't lower my feeding because I risk losing fish and coral. So i am thinking of dosing Lanthanum Chloride using either my Phosphate Rx or Phosban-L. Does anyone had any advice for this?

Tank: 32 g bicube (with stock lighting), 20 ppm Nitrates, 0 Nitrites, 0 ammonia, 8.4 pH, .84 phos

Inhabitants: 2 clowns, 1 YWG, 1 Pistol Shrimp, 1 hawkfish, urchin, CUC, zoa garden, acan

Thanks for any help

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lc produces a 7 micron precipitate instantly with phosphate. Try to mechanically filter with a 5 micron sock or dose, diluted slowly for skimmer removal. If you don't have a skimmer or way to rig filter sox, don't do it.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lc produces a 7 micron precipitate instantly with phosphate. Try to mechanically filter with a 5 micron sock or dose, diluted slowly for skimmer removal. If you don't have a skimmer or way to rig filter sox, don't do it.
Okay... I was thinking of running my skimmer and having run through my filter floss. Is there an alternative that works as well as it?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... I was thinking of running my skimmer and having run through my filter floss. Is there an alternative that works as well as it?
Drip the phospate rx slow, like a couple drops an hour so the skimmer can remove. Do not lower po4 more than 0.5 per day.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I recall the Phosphate-E I used is highly concentrated - for your size tank it would only take less than 10ml to drop your readings to near zero. So spread out over a few days into multiple applications and test in between. I drop my dose into my skimmer while running.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I recall the Phosphate-E I used is highly concentrated - for your size tank it would only take less than 10ml to drop your readings to near zero. So spread out over a few days into multiple applications and test in between. I drop my dose into my skimmer while running.
I was thinking of using Phosphate Rx and following this video () as my dosing guid

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this for many years. I recommend dosing at half the recommended rate. If you do not have phosphates in your water it will cause calcium to participate out, which can cause breathing issues and death in some fish.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this for many years. I recommend dosing at half the recommended rate. If you do not have phosphates in your water it will cause calcium to participate out, which can cause breathing issues and death in some fish.
Okay cool...Could I used my filter floss to get the participate out of the water or is the sock necessary

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back