Dosing Mag

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just a quick question for anyone who can answer.... I'm using seachem dry magnesium and just wondering if I can just add it to my top off water after its fully dissolved so I can just pour it and forget it to let it slow dose into the tank. Is that fine or is there some weird reason not to, thought I'd check before I do it. Thank you!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg gets used pretty slowly unless you have a LOT of sps and lps corals in the tank. And most of a tank's inhabitants are comfortable with changes in Mg. I would think the amount of Mg you would put into ATO water would be so small and the risk of pushing tank MG levels too high just wouldn't be worth the risk.

How big is your tank and how often do you dose Mg now? And how much do you dose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just a quick question for anyone who can answer.... I'm using seachem dry magnesium and just wondering if I can just add it to my top off water after its fully dissolved so I can just pour it and forget it to let it slow dose into the tank. Is that fine or is there some weird reason not to, thought I'd check before I do it. Thank you!!

yes, that’s fine.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg gets used pretty slowly unless you have a LOT of sps and lps corals in the tank. And most of a tank's inhabitants are comfortable with changes in Mg. I would think the amount of Mg you would put into ATO water would be so small and the risk of pushing tank MG levels too high just wouldn't be worth the risk.

How big is your tank and how often do you dose Mg now? And how much do you dose?
yeah i rarely have to dose mag, its just lower than I want it again so I was just wondering if i could put the solution in with the ATO water to let it go that way.... it wouldn't be a consistent thing just the 1 time thing ( i already did it this time )

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back