Dosing Nitrate (Sodium Nitrate)

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I failed to find the link with the instructions for the Nitrate solution based on Sodium Nitrate (how much Sodium Nitrate, how much RO water, how much NO4 will raise for every ml dosed).

Could you please assist?
TIA

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I failed to find the link with the instructions for the Nitrate solution based on Sodium Nitrate (how much Sodium Nitrate, how much RO water, how much NO4 will raise for every ml dosed).

Could you please assist?
TIA
What brand of sodium nitrate did you use and where did you get it?Was looking at loudwolf brand on amazon but it doesn't pop up while searching it.Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody recommend another brand since loud wolf stopped making it?

Someone recently posted that they got calcium nitrate from them. That's an even better choice if you can get it.

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
which one of these would you get , are they the exact thing as loudwolf version?

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Someone recently posted that they got calcium nitrate from them. That's an even better choice if you can get it.

here is the calcium version why would this be better?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate is only better in the sense that it is a balanced calcium and alk additive, like kalkwasser. SO there's no alk/calcium imbalance effect (well, a tiny one, like kalkwasser).

Sodium nitrate just boosts alk over time, no calcium.

IMO, a branded product (like the one below) may be a better bet than an off label product.

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Calcium nitrate is only better in the sense that it is a balanced calcium and alk additive, like kalkwasser. SO there's no alk/calcium imbalance effect (well, a tiny one, like kalkwasser).

IMO, a branded product (like the one below) may be a better bet than an off label product.

@Randy Holmes-Farley out of the 2 lab grade ones below which one would you choose

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ESV B-ionic Nitrate is Calcium nitrate.
I started dosing it 10 days ago, my nitrates went up from 0 to 4.2 over a week , so I scaled it down a bit.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy,
About to start mixing my own Calcium Nitrate. Would I also use the planted tank formula for potassium nitrate to be close?

I made a calculator for the Trisodium Phos forumla you have in some other posts... So i can plan mixing strength would love to do something similar with calcium nitrate.

1673488104284.png

Alprie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sorry for taking advantage of this open post. I have already read different posts in the forum about how to raise nitrates, but after reading so much, I am a bit confused (mainly in how to prepare the mix solution)

I'm going to use calcium nitrate tetrahydrate ACS 99%. My question is: to prepare the solution, would it be to add 100g to 1L of RO water???
And then, I will use the dosing calculator to see when I add to my system. (using the potassium nitrate option). For example, with that solution, in a tank of 1000L, 1ml of solution will increase 0,06ppm Nitrate.

Is that right? Thank you! :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back