Dosing Nitrate

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am planning to start to dose nitrates into my reef tank. I have very small bio load and struggling to get 1ppm nitrates. There are some limitations on what i can get my hands on in Australia. I can get lab grade sodium nitrate but it is very expensive due to dangerous goods charges from the manufacturer. The best options for price and availability are Tech Grade sodium nitrate at >98% or Food Grade calcium nitrate (stated 15.5% nitrogen and 19.3% calcium from supplier). I dont know if this is the tetrahydrate version people talk about with the additional water.

My two questions are:

1. Which is the best option - Tech grade sodium nitrate or food grade calcium nitrate
2. How do i mix up the calcium nitrate and what level do i dose to achieve a given increase in nitrate per volume of water (eg 0.5ppm raise per 100L of water). How would i adjust if it is CaNO3 versus Ca(NO3)2·4H2O.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am planning to start to dose nitrates into my reef tank. I have very small bio load and struggling to get 1ppm nitrates. There are some limitations on what i can get my hands on in Australia. I can get lab grade sodium nitrate but it is very expensive due to dangerous goods charges from the manufacturer. The best options for price and availability are Tech Grade sodium nitrate at >98% or Food Grade calcium nitrate (stated 15.5% nitrogen and 19.3% calcium from supplier). I dont know if this is the tetrahydrate version people talk about with the additional water.

My two questions are:

1. Which is the best option - Tech grade sodium nitrate or food grade calcium nitrate
2. How do i mix up the calcium nitrate and what level do i dose to achieve a given increase in nitrate per volume of water (eg 0.5ppm raise per 100L of water). How would i adjust if it is CaNO3 versus Ca(NO3)2·4H2O.

Thanks

Avoid tech grade. It means nothing in particular except it isn't meeting higher specifications.

The food grade calcium nitrate is fine.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%
Back