Dosing nitrates and phosphates

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as a long time fish keeper who hasn’t had corals in decades this goes against my nature. Others have strongly cautioned me against low nutrient levels and I‘m about to start dosing. Tank is 2mo old, has no corals as yet, is lightly stocked with fish and has a small amount of diatoms. Phosphates have always been 0.0 and nitrates have dropped from 11 to 2 despite heavy feeding Pods have begun to establish themselves and phytoplankton is dosed daily. Do I just dose this product as directed or start slowly? How often should I test and what should my goal be?

C30D27BC-B8E6-4A2A-9CA2-A4D86A71689D.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are unstable early on. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple weeks before I got measurable numbers. I recommend both of those products. Nitrates at 10 phosphate. 05 to .1.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I start a fuge once the nutrients are at acceptable levels? Even though it seems counterproductive as I’m trying to raise levels my thought is any algae would grow there rather than in the display.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of a fuge is really nutrient control, you have the opposite problem.

I’m not sure how big your tank is, but tangs, fox faces and snails do a great job mowing down algae.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of a fuge is really nutrient control, you have the opposite problem.

I’m not sure how big your tank is, but tangs, fox faces and snails do a great job mowing down algae.
130 gal display with 150 in system. Have small Foxface and snails. Tangs will go in last, Powder Blue, Yellow and Kole. I think the Tangs will solve my nutrient deficiencies lol!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I start a fuge once the nutrients are at acceptable levels? Even though it seems counterproductive as I’m trying to raise levels my thought is any algae would grow there rather than in the display.
Quite simply: get your fuge going now, it is a great thing and it will help against over dosing of nutrients...but yes, start your dosing of nutrients. If it hits zero for too long the dreaded dinos show up. What I do is use my fuge to strip nutrients down to zero and a slow drip of Sodium Nitrate and Trisodium phosphate so that there is always something in the tank. I am still battling to get my phosphates up a little..but no dinos with this method.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have to dose nitrates, which will bottom out if I don't dose every once in a while... my phosphates have pretty much always been .03 or .04 ppm, and stay steady there.

Pretty much any of the nitrate additives are fine, some are calcium nitrate, some are sodium nitrate, and some are potassium nitrate, but all supply nitrates.

Brightwell makes a NeoNitro (nitrates) and a NeoPhos (phosphates) additives that are pretty popular, and easy to get.

if you have a larger system, they also make a NeoNitro 5X and a NeoPhos 5X, which are 5 times stronger or more concentrated than the regular versions and would probably be more economical. Or any brand nitrate additive is fine.

I've used NeoNitro in the past, but I'm currently using a bottle of ESV (calcium) nitrate.

20220825_214516.jpg

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
130 gal display with 150 in system. Have small Foxface and snails. Tangs will go in last, Powder Blue, Yellow and Kole. I think the Tangs will solve my nutrient deficiencies lol!
I have a 6’ long 135 with 4 tangs, a fox face, a lyre tail angel and several other smaller fish. I still have to dose sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate.

nessjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have to dose nitrates, which will bottom out if I don't dose every once in a while... my phosphates have pretty much always been .03 or .04 ppm, and stay steady there.

Pretty much any of the nitrate additives are fine, some are calcium nitrate, some are sodium nitrate, and some are potassium nitrate, but all supply nitrates.

Brightwell makes a NeoNitro (nitrates) and a NeoPhos (phosphates) additives that are pretty popular, and easy to get.

if you have a larger system, they also make a NeoNitro 5X and a NeoPhos 5X, which are 5 times stronger or more concentrated than the regular versions and would probably be more economical. Or any brand nitrate additive is fine.

I've used NeoNitro in the past, but I'm currently using a bottle of ESV (calcium) nitrate.

20220825_214516.jpg
Lefty my readings are the exact same as yours. I'm trying to get my nitrates up to 2.5 and I'm going to start dosing 30ml a day in my 125gal tank. Should I worry about phosphate dosing?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates remain 0.0 and have read as such for a month now. Phosphates have ALWAYS read zero. I'm feeding a lot and have a significant bio load. I understand nitrates can be removed by bacteria but where are my phosphates going? I've heard they can absorbed by rockwork.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates remain 0.0 and have read as such for a month now. Phosphates have ALWAYS read zero. I'm feeding a lot and have a significant bio load. I understand nitrates can be removed by bacteria but where are my phosphates going? I've heard they can absorbed by rockwork.

Both N and P are taken up by all photosynthetic organisms, and as you note, calcium carbonate surfaces can bind phosphate. I’d feed more or dose both.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back