Dosing Nitrates or not?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

My first tank, and just over 4 months old.
My parameters are in decent range, and I don't have any major issues.

Values:

Temp. 25 C
Salinity: 35 ppt
Ph: 7.9-8.1
Alk. 8.0 dKh - Hanna
Ca. 459 ppm - Hanna
Mg. 1350 ppm - Salifert
NO3: 0.5 - 1ppm - AF
PO4: 0.02 - Hanna

Running filter roller, skimmer and fuge with chaeto.

My nitrates, has been around 0.5 - 1ppm for quite a while and max 3 ppm, after cycling the tank.
I have a thin layer of some green algae on the rocks, which has be there since the diatoms disappeared, but not sure how much nutrients they consume.
Algae on rockwork:
20210430_172222.jpg

Full tank shot:
20210430_172153.jpg

I have single torch, that seems a little 'off', but opens up everyday.

Question is, if I should try raise nitrates a bit or not?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of just feeding a bit more, but seems it has a bigger impact on phosphates than nitrates, but maybe this isn't true?

In general, food has a lot more N than P in it.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen vs pellets/flakes. I've found pellet foods will raise my PO4 more than frozen food, like reef frenzy. I've used Nano Reef Frenzy for 3 years. Also nori, reef roids and reef nutrition do raise PO4.
I just started dosing Neonitro but only because NO3 was flat 0 as corals were taking up excess and the amount of food i was having to use for four fish was crazy. Now that it's up to 5 I will scale back and monitor and probably stop til it trends lower.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen vs pellets/flakes. I've found pellet foods will raise my PO4 more than frozen food, like reef frenzy. I've used Nano Reef Frenzy for 3 years. Also nori, reef roids and reef nutrition do raise PO4.
I just started dosing Neonitro but only because NO3 was flat 0 as corals were taking up excess and the amount of food i was having to use for four fish was crazy. Now that it's up to 5 I will scale back and monitor and probably stop til it trends lower.
I feed 90% frozen foods.
I do want to add more fish, but all this covid situation makes it hard to get the ones I'd like.
It does seem I might be able to get new inhabitants soon, so I will need to feed more anyway.
But thanks for the info. I just recently learned that frozen foods contains less PO4 than pellets, and I thought it was the other way around.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed the part where he was running cheato.

I would cut the light time for cheato 50%. Otherwise if you feed more or add sodium phosphate you will just get faster growing cheato and no real change in nitrate levels.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also think chaeto sucks up nitrates wayyyy faster than phosphates too.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All macroalgae do. They must, since they contain far more N than P.
I would be surprised if there are more than a few types of plant species that use more phosphates than nitrates (never heard of any).

I would cut the light time for cheato 50%. Otherwise if you feed more or add sodium phosphate you will just get faster growing cheato and no real change in nitrate levels

Chaeto removes CO2, which I need to maintain a decent ph.
I was thinking if I need or decide to dose nitrate, I could do it in the morning, when fuge light is off and tank light has just barely begun.
This would insure the chaeto not using it up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back