Dosing nitrates

Reefgirl79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a product on the market for nitrate dosing?

I know you can use Seachem Flourish for phosphates but what about nitrates?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a puffer fish and feed it some clams/shrimp...... nitrates will be on the rise in no-time!

Otherwise.... maybe turn off your skimmer, or set it to cycle?

OP
OP
Reefgirl79

Reefgirl79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Get yourself a puffer fish and feed it some clams/shrimp...... nitrates will be on the rise in no-time!

Otherwise.... maybe turn off your skimmer, or set it to cycle?

Don't run a skimmer. I feed corals twice a week and fish daily and even with biweekly waterchanges, my nitrates were lower than 2 phos 0.

This has caused dino's. So adding more livestock is not the route I can go.

I need yo get my nutrients balanced

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can detect any level of N and P, then you have a surplus. Any surplus is enough. Please do not think that more nitrates will solve any problems with color, growth or stability - these issues lie somewhere else.

OP
OP
Reefgirl79

Reefgirl79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can detect any level of N and P, then you have a surplus. Any surplus is enough. Please do not think that more nitrates will solve any problems with color, growth or stability - these issues lie somewhere else.

I'm not trying to colour up my corals or get growth from them. I had no issues with that.

I have Dino's from a lack of nutrients in my tank. My phos was 0 a d my nitrates barely detectable.

That is not only not good for coral health but the perfect condition for dino's.

Balancing phos and nitrates is the number one method to get rid of dino's.

That is my purpose for dosing because over feeding the tank is an unreliable method.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 2 ppm is a perfectly fine reading - that's the level at which I maintain my own nitrates. I do so by dosing a solution I made with the Stump Remover product from Lowe's. If your phosphates are truly zero I'd be more worried about that.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You poisoned the dinos with higher levels than they can handle. N and P are building blocks of life, but they are also poisons to every living organism at varying levels - with some, it is very low like the Dinos. You can growth limit dinos with ocean-levels of N and P. I have .1N and .005 to .01P and I do get a few dinos and some cyano that comes and goes in small patches, but they are hardly a problem.

Most aminos are quickly used by single-cell organisms and never reach any coral. I have no doubt that aminos helped to fuel dinos.

If you want to dose nitrate to poison dinos, cyano, etc., then that is a great reason to do so. If you want to get more building blocks to corals, then not only is it unnecessary, but they would also probably prefer ammonia for this. Just know that calcification will slow down with rising levels of both.

The issue with 2ppm if nitrate, is that it is VERY high for what these creatures evolved in. Ocean is usually detectable, but below .1 and you are 20 times higher than this. This is a good place to fuel cyano and dinos.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium nitrate to dose nitrates. I mix my own solution.

I'm also fighting dinos. They're terrible to get rid of. Good luck.

Link to what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Nitra...31214&s=gateway&sprefix=sodium+nitrate&sr=8-6
I've been dosing Loudwolf Sodium Nitrate (pharma quality) for about 2 years now with very good results. I've only encountered dinos once and after some testing, noticed my no3 had bottomed out and once I brought it back up, dinos were gone in a few days.
OP might want to feed a little more to be honest. I'd never want to see zero (clear, no hint of color) on either no3 or po4.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fighting dinos is concerned, the internet leads me to believe many solutions are available and it really is hit or miss what will work because everyone seems to have different circumstances causing them. One thing I know I have read a lot of though, is to do small changes over time, and no “big” changes quickly.

You could dump a huge amount of Copeods in though, as I have read no real negative side-affects from that.

https://www.amazon.com/AQUACULTURE-...ateway&sprefix=copepo&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&th=1

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried others (stump remover, amazon ordered combination of lab grade nitrates...) and found heavy metal elevated in ICP test.

These days I am using ME nitrate. I am paying a little extra for peace of mind.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/me-nitrate-no3-32-oz-pharmaceutical-grade-liquid-mecoral/
That stuff shot my potassium up over 430 in less than a month with regular dosing (I keep it right at 400 to 410). Same reason I don't use stump remover. It'll also increase your Calcium levels beyond what you're doing with 2-part/kalk/reactor/whatever. Just sayin...

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working to slowly up my No3 as well. I've been dosing the ME Corals No3 product. Its super easy and convenient.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working to slowly up my No3 as well. I've been dosing the ME Corals No3 product. Its super easy and convenient.

Like I said, just keep an eye on your Calcium and Potassium as you're dosing those as well with that product...

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can you be sure the metals came from the sodium nitrate? Did you send a sample of your dosing solution only? Or was this from your tank?

ICP tests only test saltwater(both ATI and Triton). I do not have clear evidence and neither do I intent to...at the time when ICP test showed couple of heavy metals elevated, I was dosing lab grade sodium nitrate from amazon.

What I do know is the ME coral blends different compounds of nitrates so the chance of elevating a single macro or trace element is lower...hope that helps.

Sam

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP tests only test saltwater(both ATI and Triton). I do not have clear evidence and neither do I intent to...at the time when ICP test showed couple of heavy metals elevated, I was dosing lab grade sodium nitrate from amazon.

What I do know is the ME coral blends different compounds of nitrates so the chance of elevating a single macro or trace element is lower...hope that helps.

Sam

The skeptic in me had to ask was all. Elevated heavy metals can come from a number of sources. My last ICP test was good on everything, except iodine. That seems to be constantly low for me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back