Dosing oxygen???

mikeandkerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to dose oxygen with a tank,regulator,and bubble counter
Like you would with co2 to raise the ph?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to dose oxygen with a tank,regulator,and bubble counter
Like you would with co2 to raise the ph?
yes it is possible.
why would you.
I use coral and macroalgae to make oxygen in my tanks.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's possible to over oxygenate, think fish could be damaged/killed from it.
Just like we can, if we breath pure 02 for too long.
How would you determine a safe amount and measure it?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this for fish in QT. If you could get like a planted tank C02 set up but use 02.

Like McCourt said, I'd be worried about over oxygenating though, as I'm not sure what a safe dose would be.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I'm asking
Mister smarty pants so I can understand
please no name calling. I can't read intent or emotion in what you write. I would suggest you may not be able to either. May folks just noodle ideas here regardless of experience.
I'm always glad to help teach what I know.

Hang on Ill find a couple things for you. How are you testing PH?

OP
OP
mikeandkerry

mikeandkerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please no name calling. I can't read intent or emotion in what you write. I would suggest you may not be able to either. May folks just noodle ideas here regardless of experience.
I'm always glad to help teach what I know.

Hang on Ill find a couple things for you. How are you testing PH?
It's on an apex
And tested it with redsea and api
And all say the same

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Dosing oxygen' isn't something I've ever seen necessary in a reef tank. If you're worried that your O2 levels are contributing to a low ph, you could easily get a small air pump and run that in either your display or sump.

As long as your ph is above ~7.8 and your other stats are within a safe range you'll be ok.

My 30g always runs a low ph/Alk along with with undetectable nutrients.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Dosing oxygen' isn't something I've ever seen necessary in a reef tank. If you're worried that your O2 levels are contributing to a low ph, you could easily get a small air pump and run that in either your display or sump.

As long as your ph is above ~7.8 and your other stats are within a safe range you'll be ok.

My 30g always runs a low ph/Alk along with with undetectable nutrients.

In some instances I think the air pump is a misconception.

If the source air in your room is C02-laden and causing low pH, the air pump is just pulling more air that is high in C02 into your tank. Air pumps themselves do not scrub any C02 out of the source air.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some instances I think the air pump is a misconception.

If the source air in your room is C02-laden and causing low pH, the air pump is just pulling more air that is high in C02 into your tank. Air pumps themselves do not scrub any C02 out of the source air.
The tank though is much more likey to produce more co2 than the outside air contains Esp depending on bioload. That load includes bacteria. Another reason to avoid detritus and dirty sand beds. It lowers ph by producing co2.
So it may not be much but it's some. Or a lot depending on the levels inthe home.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank though is much more likey to produce more co2 than the outside air contains Esp depending on bioload. That load includes bacteria. Another reason to avoid detritus and dirty sand beds. It lowers ph by producing co2.
So it may not be much but it's some. Or a lot depending on the levels inthe home.

Valid points.

In my case, I'd venture to guess that the gaping hole in my hot water tank exhaust (same room as my sump) was a contributing favor. Ugh.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valid points.

In my case, I'd venture to guess that the gaping hole in my hot water tank exhaust (same room as my sump) was a contributing favor. Ugh.
Lol.
My furnace from the 1950s the landlord doesn't want to replace isn't a problem is it?

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to run an oxygen concentrator off of an APEX into a skimmer for when pH drops. (Certainly not the cheapest or best way).

The problem with dealing with O2 is the volatility of it, you wouldn't want the sump cabinet becoming saturated then have a spark kick off an explosion that brings a new definition to "catastrophic failure" in the reefkeeping hobby. ;Wideyed

"My tank blew up my livingroom" :eek::D

A CO2 scrubber is a good tool if you can't run an outside airline, but you will be paying for media. Your best bet might be to try a refugium with a reverse daylight schedule and chaeto or macro algaes. It will boost your pH when it is lowest, and also remove NO3 and PO4's depending on how you manage it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back