Dosing oxygen???

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that the new furnace has a much better air filtration and sterilization system, so running it 24/7 will provide “cleaner air”, which may be useful during flu season. We also have a 12 year parts and labour warranty which helps in the event the blower does wear out, but my experience tells me it is the stop and start that does more damage on motors. I would be curious to know what happens with your aquarium ph levels after doing same for a day?

Oh, do you have a uv sterilizer on there? Yes I'll try it and see, my ph goes up to 8.3 as is and I took of my co2 scrubber because I was getting too much precipitation at higher levels, but I am interested to see if it has an impact regardless.

Jmarbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to belabour this thread, but I also re-calibrated my 4 month old lab grade PH probe just to be sure, and that’s when it went up from 8.4 to 8.45.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....would 4 cats do it? Not being an expert with HVAC and the up and down tendencies with PH, let’s say the jury is still out on this. All I can say is I have NEVER hit the 8.4 ph level in the 3 years I have had this tank, so whatever the cause/effect I can’t not like it!

Unvented gas appliances are by far the biggest source, at least when they are being used. Gas stove and/or oven, for example.

People are a bigger source than cats if both are in the house.

There aren't that many other sources.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please no name calling. I can't read intent or emotion in what you write. I would suggest you may not be able to either. May folks just noodle ideas here regardless of experience.
I'm always glad to help teach what I know.

Hang on Ill find a couple things for you. How are you testing PH?
Old thread but I had to do a double take at "Mr Smarty-pants". At first glance I thought "well the reef squad leader sort of suggests that he is indeed Mr Smarty-pants". I'm editing the next controversial reply I get to see you if the poster notices.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it needs to be restated that oxygen has nothing to do with pH in a reef tank. The only way to raise pH without raising alk is to remove co2 from the tank water. This cannot be done with pure oxygen unless you are feeding a skimmer intake or LARGE air pump (stupid when you have a skimmer) with a source of air that has less CO2 in it than the room air (which is what is causing the high co2 in the first place. Yes you could feed the skimmer with pure O2 but that really doesn't make any sense to do when you can just use a co2 scrubber or fresh air.

CO2 scrubber media CAN be expensive if you are pulling high co2 room air through them but I've found a way to make it last much longer... a lifereef skimmer. The lifereef skimmer has a Venturi that pulls air from the skimmer cup. This means that is basically recycling the air from the skimmer except for a small portion that is pulled from the air surrounding the collection cup with there is negative pressure. I put my co2 media in a reactor IN BETWEEN the Venturi and the skimmer cup and BAM. Exponentially less media use. Also has the extra benefit of constantly pulling moist air through the media which make t last much longer.
Awsome idea. I'm modding my skimmer in the morning.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back