Dosing Pump

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with this dosing to help stabilizing PH.
1659995023892.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you dose to stabilize pH? Unless you are an advanced reefer, trying to stabilize pH by dosing alk supplements is perhaps more complicated than it is worth. Excessive alk is a big concern.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you dose to stabilize pH? Unless you are an advanced reefer, trying to stabilize pH by dosing alk supplements is perhaps more complicated than it is worth. Excessive alk is a big concern.
I really don't want to dose Kalkwasser, but my PH is really unstable to me. getting outside air is difficult in my house here in Las Vegas at 100 degrees +. I am running a CO2 scrubber also.

Attachments

• PH.JPG
    PH.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 27

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH is not unusually unstable, its just low. I think I'd dose all needed alk as hydroxide in some form (jkalkwasser or sodium hydroxide). I do not think a pH controller is necessary or useful since it is very unlikely for pH to get too high before you hit your daily alk demand limit.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH is not unusually unstable, its just low. I think I'd dose all needed alk as hydroxide in some form (jkalkwasser or sodium hydroxide). I do not think a pH controller is necessary or useful since it is very unlikely for pH to get too high before you hit your daily alk demand limit.
I understand your point and this is what I'm thinking of dosing and controlling the dosages with my Apex PH monitor and ALK testing. I do plan on getting a trident. right now I'm using Hannah ALK tester.

Attachments

• PH Buffer.JPG
    PH Buffer.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 21

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, that’s a very poor choice of product for pH raising.

There are three main alk additives.

1. Hydroxide has the biggest pH boost per unit of alk added.

2. Carbonate has half the pH boost of hydroxide per unit of alk added.

3. Bicarbonate has a slight pH lowering effect.

Seachem reef buffer is a mix of bicarbonate and carbonate, with slightly more bicarbonate if you accept their claims at face value (not sure I do, but it’s likely close anyway).

If you need a pH boost, start with sodium carbonate. No one starting at your pH will see pH rise too much. Most likely, it is not enough.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, that’s a very poor choice of product for pH raising.

There are three main alk additives.

1. Hydroxide has the biggest pH boost per unit of alk added.

2. Carbonate has half the pH boost of hydroxide per unit of alk added.

3. Bicarbonate has a slight pH lowering effect.

Seachem reef buffer is a mix of bicarbonate and carbonate, with slightly more bicarbonate if you accept their claims at face value (not sure I do, but it’s likely close anyway).

If you need a pH boost, start with sodium carbonate. No one starting at your pH will see pH rise too much. Most likely, it is not enough.
if I use option 1 what is your brand recommendation?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I use option 1 what is your brand recommendation?

Option 1 is fine, but it carries more overdose risk and the chemical is more irritating to you if you spill it or splash it on yourself due to the high pH. That said, food grade sodium hydroxide from Amazon is my recommendation. There are some big threads on DIY two part alk and calcium supplements using it.

Sodium carbonate (BRS call this soda ash) is available from many hobby companies.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 is fine, but it carries more overdose risk and the chemical is more irritating to you if you spill it or splash it on yourself due to the high pH. That said, food grade sodium hydroxide from Amazon is my recommendation. There are some big threads on DIY two part alk and calcium supplements using it.

Sodium carbonate (BRS call this soda ash) is available from many hobby companies.
Randy, thanks for all your help and advice. this is what I ordered (ME Coral Kalk Powder). I'll dose it slowly and monitor the ALK.
Hopefully, I can get the Apex trident soon.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back