Dosing Pumps and Controllers

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I’m controller stupid, or dosing pump stupid, but is the only way to accurately dose is to measure your levels daily to get an average usage of CA, Alk, etc?

Or is there a dosing pump that measures your water (like the Trident) and then doses accordingly based on a set of a predetermined dosing mixture?
Or am I just way overthinking things and getting the average is best and then figuring in the dosing to set the pumps at?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm aware, the trident couple with an apex, and DOS unit are the only ones that will measure your water, and dose accordingly. I think GHL can do this also, but not to sure as I don't know much about GHL.

Other then that, you measure for a few days, then hand dose, or setup a stand alone doser to dose a specific amount ever day.( I do this method with an apex and DOS, no trident).

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Seems the cheapest option would be measure and then set up a dozer for a set amount

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident and GHL can handle the task. It’s a large investment up front though. I currently use the apex with the trident and manually program my dosing. It’s not that I don’t completely trust my trident as it’s worked flawlessly for me since purchase. But I want to make sure everything is right and I guess I’m a control freak.

But I have friends that let the Trident run the DOS and don’t seem to have any issues.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I have an Apex but I can’t afford the Trident right now. I may “redneck” a doser until I can figure out the space in my stand. The guy who built the stand I bought the tank from did not leave any room under it for accessories

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I have an Apex but I can’t afford the Trident right now. I may “redneck” a doser until I can figure out the space in my stand. The guy who built the stand I bought the tank from did not leave any room under it for accessories
Build an outside controller board. Keeps everything away from the saltwater as well and neat and tidy.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build an outside controller board. Keeps everything away from the saltwater as well and neat and tidy.
That’s part of the issue. I’m not sure with how the stand is designed if it’s possible. It’s almost completely closed in. Not sure if the side panels were designed to be taken off. If so, I could easily expand it and make plenty of room. I may have to look at it in more detail when I get time and maybe take pics for your opinions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back