Dosing pumps for auto water change?

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could use a couple dosing pumps on timers could be used as an auto water change system? I have a couple Milwaukee dosing pumps and was trying to figure out a way to use em so the aren’t jus sitting taking up space unused. I have one oh controller that came with one of the pumps but won’t use it figured if I ran each dosing pump to a timer and set each one to be on for the exact same amount of time they should flow the same I’ll test that first to make sure I get equal parts pulled out and put back in. That if this is a viable option. I don’t mind doing it the old fashioned way as my tank is les than 50 gallons and I usually do 8 gallon w/c biweekly since the bucket I use is 8 gallons. Figure if I did at least half a gallon a day it would work out to about the same as 8 gallons biweekly. Any info and input would be greatly appreciated

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure seems like a reasonable plan, with a caveat. What duty rating are the pumps? They should be able to handle it but to decrease the load of the pumps, I, personally, would spread out the water changes to daily equaling what you would change in one shot every week or two weeks.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure seems like a reasonable plan, with a caveat. What duty rating are the pumps? They should be able to handle it but to decrease the load of the pumps, I, personally, would spread out the water changes to daily equaling what you would change in one shot every week or two weeks.
Yea that was the plan to do half gallon changes daily to equal jus about the 8 gallons I would do bi weekly. I’m not too sure the duty rating I got this off the Milwaukee website tho.

The Milwaukee Instruments MP810 Dosing Pump lets you easily automate dosing. The pump offers a maximum pressure of 1.5 bar or more than 50 feet of head pressure with a 0.16 GPM dosing flow.

I have used them for controlling ph of water for growing plants and it worked just fine that’s kinda what game me the idea to use em for this purpose

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that was the plan to do half gallon changes daily to equal jus about the 8 gallons I would do bi weekly. I’m not too sure the duty rating I got this off the Milwaukee website tho.

The Milwaukee Instruments MP810 Dosing Pump lets you easily automate dosing. The pump offers a maximum pressure of 1.5 bar or more than 50 feet of head pressure with a 0.16 GPM dosing flow.

I have used them for controlling ph of water for growing plants and it worked just fine that’s kinda what game me the idea to use em for this purpose
Your assignment. Use em. Report back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back