Dosing question

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newby to dosing 2 part. Do I dose both Calcium and Alk at the same time or do I dose it one before the other?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose with at least a few minutes, prefferably a few hours apart. If you put both in at near the same time they'll react with one another and not do what you're wanting them to do. It doesn't really matter which one you put in, or when exactly you do it, just space some time.
Typically I do alk in the morning and calc at nighttime.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Alk shortly after lights out because it helps raise the pH which will drop at night and I dose Ca in the morning.

OP
OP
J

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol..you two guys dose exactly opposite each other. I guess it's a matter of preference than. So I guess you only need to dose once a day? Is it more stable if you spread the dosing out like 2 or 3 times a day or is that unneccesary?

mjplumber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose B-Ionic 2-part twice a day using timers and brs dosing pumps 1/2hr after lights out and 1/2 before they come back on. I dose the alk 1st and calcium 2nd as per instructions on the bottle.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always dose where there is the most flow. I will be dosing with pumps and controllers but until I set my tank up I have been dosing by hand twice a day (morning and night) into the DT. I only dose about 30 sec apart. I dose alk, wait for it to clear then dose Ca.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose mine into the overflow and let it mix in the sump, that is the most turbulant area of my system, I try to do it slowly. i put one in after the other, but do not mix the stuff together and try to add. every one is different, and every reef uses a different amount. if you have a lot to add. you may want to look at makeing a drip system or a doseing pump I only use less than 20 ml a day, so I just hand dose into the over flow. I have a dosing pump,.and never used it.

OP
OP
J

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Apex controller and dosing pump. Like you sprinkler, i haven't used it yet. I really dont have too much in my 156 gal so my demand is pretty low. My overflow doesnt look like it has too much movement, even though I'm using a Mag 18. The water returning to the sump is a different story but in the overflow its seem rather quiet. I will probably dose it in my DT.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back