Dosing reef energy a&b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to automate dosing reef energy, my plan is to mix both parts in one container on top of a magnetic mixer to stir up the mixture prior to dosing daily. I know it says to refrigerate after opening, but would it be possible to keep it at room temp and have it not spoil? What are the downfalls of keeping it at room temperature after opening? Does this cause some kind of breakdown of the elements?

I dose 30ml daily so a 1 liter mixture would last a little over a month.

I'm trying to simplify my system as much as possible, so I'm hoping I can dose this stuff with my idea.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably goes bad if you don't refrigerate it. If it didn't need to be refrigerated they wouldn't tell you to do it. I have left mine out overnight and just put it in the garbage didn't want to take a chance with it.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably goes bad if you don't refrigerate it. If it didn't need to be refrigerated they wouldn't tell you to do it. I have left mine out overnight and just put it in the garbage didn't want to take a chance with it.

I get that, but when we buy this stuff it's not refrigerated and it's not like the bottles are sealed air tight either. These 2 things are what got me thinking that room temperature might be ok.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't mix them. From the manual:
Due to undesirable interactions between the various components necessary to meet the complete nutritional requirements of the corals, Red Sea’s Reef Energy® nutrition program is divided into 2 complimentary products.
Reef Energy® A & B can be mixed together directly before supplementing. Do not save any unused mixture.

Short term they would be probably OK at room temp, but they contain lots of things bacteria eat, so once you open them and allow air in...

overclockwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose A+B dailyand I wouldn't use it unrefrigerated. It would be like feeding corals rotten food (though they eat dead stuff floating around - lol). Once I'm out of my A+B, I plan to switch over to Acropower and put that on a doser. I've read somewhere that it doesn't need mixing or refrigerating.

The outlier method would be buy a mini fridge, run a loop from the sump with bulkheads inside the fridge and dose it through there. FishofHex on Youtube did something like that but I'm unsure how effective it was.

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was first using it I bought some of the little packs from my lfs (haven't seen those anymore) I left them out side the fridge for one night and next night I noticed the smell changed and it looked a bit darker so I just those it

brogers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight....

1) it says dont mix and you want to mix
2) it says refridgerate and you dont want to refrigerate

Good luck, keep us updated.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight....

1) it says dont mix and you want to mix
2) it says refridgerate and you dont want to refrigerate

Good luck, keep us updated.

It says on their site you can keep out smaller doses and keep at cooler room temps(68-70) but was curious if anyone else has kept it out longer with any I'll effects.

But hey, thanks for checking in!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back