Dosing Seachem Reef Fusion, high Mag

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing the Seachem Reef Fusion for a few months now. I recently tested the Mag and it was a bit high. It took 0.90 ml on the Red Sea test to turn blue. I did it 2 times to confirm. The scale stops at 0.08 (1600ppm) but it appears that every 0.1 ml is 20ppm so I would guess that my level is 1800ppm.

Now, Reef Fusion part 1 has magnesium and calcium (along with other trace elements), and Reef Fusion 2 is the alk. My calcium is fine at 420-430 ppm, Alk is a bit high at 10 (I changed the dosing schedule to get it back to mid 8's).

Is 1800ppm going to hurt anything? I've read you can shock oysters with mag but that is at levels of 8000ppm. My snails (nerite and nassarius) are all fine. I did recently lose my pistol shrimp and I just got another one to give my goby purpose again. Did the high magnesium kill my shrimp?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say if 1,800 ppm magnesium is harmful. I can say that Seachem Reef Fusion contains magnesium in addition to other elements. If your magnesium in your salt mix is high, Reef Fusion will maintain it at an already high level.

Red Sea magnesium test kits have occasionally been found to be inaccurate also. Perhaps try a different test kit and see if you get a different result.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say if 1,800 ppm magnesium is harmful. I can say that Seachem Reef Fusion contains magnesium in addition to other elements. If your magnesium in your salt mix is high, Reef Fusion will maintain it at an already high level.

Red Sea magnesium test kits have occasionally been found to be inaccurate also. Perhaps try a different test kit and see if you get a different result.
Yes I know that Reef Fusion 1 contains Mag (why I mentioned it [emoji6]).

I'm using Live Aquaria Pro Salt which has lower levels. That's why I like it, because it doesn't spike alk like reef crystals.

c546851e434d1b7ca2a41b9ea42e196f.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Live Aquaria Pro Salt which has lower levels. That's why I like it, because it doesn't spike alk like reef crystals.

Do you know what the magnesium is for your salt mix specifically? Have you verified that it's within the range that Live Aquaria states? It's not uncommon for salt mixes to have one or more parameters outside of the value ranges reported by manufacturers. Additionally, typical values for magnesium in the ocean are around 1,280 ppm. Mg between 1,350-1,450 ppm is not low, it's actually relatively high.

I would first try a different test kit. Red Sea magnesium test kits have been reported to have accuracy problems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue may be the Red Sea kit, and not actual high magnesium. Many people get incorrect readings.

FWIW, I doubt the Reef Fusion “caused” high magnesium, but as mentioned, it may keep it there.

FWIW, if the magnesium is really that high, actual consumption would take a year or more to bring it to NSW levels. Water changes with a lower magnesium mix would be much faster.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue may be the Red Sea kit, and not actual high magnesium. Many people get incorrect readings.

I ordered a Salifert kit, but it will be a couple of days.

FWIW, if the magnesium is really that high, actual consumption would take a year or more to bring it to NSW levels. Water changes with a lower magnesium mix would be much faster.

If I get the other kit and it really is that high, is this actually an issue? Obviously I don't want to keep raising it, but is 1800ppm problematic.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the Salifert test 2 times. This one used 1.05 ml, 1ml is 1500 so that makes it 1570ppm. Still high but not crazy high. Calcium remains at 425.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has a tendency to be higher than the other brands regarding magnesium

drevalenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag seems to be on point with just water changes. Might be a dumb question, but is there any specific corals that soak up more mag?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag seems to be on point with just water changes. Might be a dumb question, but is there any specific corals that soak up more mag?

Yes, magnesium uptake varies with the coral, and how much magnesium ends up in the skeleton. Coralline is among the highest, probably since it deposits calcite and not aragonite.

Back