Dosing Sodium Nitrate (question for the pros)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mimi117
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mimi117

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2012
Messages
113
Reaction score
27
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I have been at 0 nitrates for a few weeks, corals are fine, tank is good, I have this film green algae growing on the rocks, and every 1-2 days I get small patches of red/pink cyno growing on the sand/rocks that I have to upturn, or blow off because it's an eyesore.

I know the general rule is to not have nitrates at 0, and you also don't want phosphates at 0, both are registering 0 so I want to elevate those slowly and see how the corals enjoy, if things start to get out of control, I'll back off the dose, and do some water changes.

I want to dose 2ML per hour = 48ML per day of food grade sodium nitrate, which based on the calculator will give me a 1.55ppm per day increase, should I start at a lower dose, or just jump in with this dose? Also, do I mix it with fresh ro/di or salt water? Reason is, I am dosing kalk right now with fresh water, and my salinity is slowly dropping. I don't want it to continue to drop and want to keep it stable, before I added my kalk doser pump, my salinity was a constant 1.024-1.025, I checked it today it was 1.021-1.022

Thoughts?


1746066316280.png
 
You can mix sodium nitrate with almost anything, including kalkwasser.
 
Yes but my kalkwasser goes in at 10ML per hour, I would have to dilute the amount so I could dose it with the 10ML, I guess I could do that!
 
Yes, dilution into kalk is fine, or straight dosing.

Going at 1.5 ppm per day for a few days then retesting seems a fine plan to me.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new