Dosing Sodium Phosphate

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6” 135 gal sps tank full of small colonies and frags. Even with a robust fish population and skimming dry, my nutrients are usually undetectable.

I started dosing sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate daily a few weeks ago. It’s been tricky getting the phosphates to stay consistent, but things have finally settled in.

Phosphates are .02 ppm in the morning before dosing. I dose 1.1 ppm sodium phosphate daily. Phosphates measure 1.3 an hour after testing, then back at .02 the next morning,

Is this reasonable?

018B8B0B-68B0-4050-9510-F22008114C58.jpeg

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems normal. I see a lot of coralline growth, plus rocks and sand that will bind a substantial amount of phosphates. You will need to keep up the dosing of phosphates until it becomes saturated at the level you are targeting.

You’ll get there soon.

PS, I’d consider scraping the back wall. It might make the tank look better! Of course, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. :)

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do moonshiners, so I’m dosing multiple trace elements plus phosphates and nitrates daily. Phosphates are tricky to dial in. I wasn’t expecting the daily phosphate dose to be this high.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is perfectly normal, at least until your rocks and sand reach equilibrium. This can take a long time. I would just continue to dose and monitor until then. Try and keep your skimmers collection cup off or drain valve open if you can.

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

I really want to grow out and color up a tank full of big acropora colonies! It isn’t easy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back