Dosing the trifecta

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I know if I need to extend to 14 days? Today is day 7 of this schedule for me. I started it because I had a Yellow Tang in QT that had completely stopped eating and was getting really skinny I had tried everything else I could think of (garlic, masstick, etc) and since he wasn't eating I couldn't dose the food. He started picking at food on day 4 and as of yesterday (day 6) he's going after nori well and already looks to have started to get thicker. Should I be good to stop on day 10?

Thanks for this write up.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I know if I need to extend to 14 days? Today is day 7 of this schedule for me. I started it because I had a Yellow Tang in QT that had completely stopped eating and was getting really skinny I had tried everything else I could think of (garlic, masstick, etc) and since he wasn't eating I couldn't dose the food. He started picking at food on day 4 and as of yesterday (day 6) he's going after nori well and already looks to have started to get thicker. Should I be good to stop on day 10?

Thanks for this write up.

10-14 days should be sufficient. I would not go less than 10. Glad to hear your fish is improving!

Atalina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of putting metroplex in the tank, can I feed it? Or is is most effective when all are added to the tank?

Atalina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i put metroplex in food instead of the tank? I'm having issues with internal parasites as well or should all go in the tank?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and actually better.:) Use seacheme focus to bind the med to the food, the med will be ingested for a better result instead of broadcasting the med throughout the system ;)

slab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to link this in Bobby's antibiotics write-up for ease of access.

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange
Do you move the fish back into the DT after day 11?
And you add the medicine into the water, not mixing with food?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you move the fish back into the DT after day 11?
And you add the medicine into the water, not mixing with food?

I would do a full 14 days with the meds in the water column and in the food at the same time

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I please ask what ailments Furan-2 treats that Metroplex and Kanaplex don’t?

The reason I ask is that a) I am in Australia and getting any antibiotics is much more difficult for us that it for those in other markets such as the US; and b) I understand that maintaining high oxygenation is more important for Furan-2 than the other two medications increasing the risk of treatment.

I keep the other two on hand and have just used them to deal with an infection both of my Occ clowns came down with successfully and are trying to decide if I should keep Furan-2 on hand as well.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point of dosing all three, versus one or the other, is to cover a broader range of or nastier infections. I can't speak with experience about trying to import meds, but I will say that if you can get your hands on furan-2 then do so.

I guess the best way of putting it is- Say you get a respiratory infection or pneumonia, which unfortunately I am all too familiar with, you'd want to take a stronger antibiotic, or multiple antibiotics, in conjunction with a steroid. Point being, you'd be attacking the infection with heavier duty, or a combination that provides a stronger kick, as well as the steroid to help with pain and inflammation. I know this may be an odd comparison, and I may even be way off here, but it's the best I could provide.

As far as aeration goes, I've never had an issue with a power head pointed towards the surface and an air pump. Even when I've had to dose copper and prazipro in conjunction with antibiotics, which is all but guaranteed to cause a bloom, I've had no real problems.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I please ask what ailments Furan-2 treats that Metroplex and Kanaplex don’t?

The reason I ask is that a) I am in Australia and getting any antibiotics is much more difficult for us that it for those in other markets such as the US; and b) I understand that maintaining high oxygenation is more important for Furan-2 than the other two medications increasing the risk of treatment.

I keep the other two on hand and have just used them to deal with an infection both of my Occ clowns came down with successfully and are trying to decide if I should keep Furan-2 on hand as well.

Thanks in advance!

I’d have to research it again to be 100% positive but I believe Furan 2 is good for gram negative infections

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for putting this together. After removing all my fish because of ich entering my tank and running all through TTM, my Gem Tang looked stressed and stopped eating. I moved him to a hospital tank and on day 5 he's attacking the nori like before. I was really worried for a while.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what happens if you don’t do the water changes? I have a powder brown I just moved from 10 days in copper to an established non-copper qt and he wasn’t looking great after the copper. I added the meds today but am now out of town for a week. I’m not sure if I should have my wife keep dosing to schedule or just leave it be. Asking her to do water changes would be impossible.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back