Dosing trace element?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the result of my first ICP test and have some trace elements at the low end:

Screenshot_20210514-142132_ReadEra.jpg

Buying and dosing each component will be both expensive and tedious.
Are there any recommended trace mixes that can be used instead?
Any of the elements I shouldn't worry about or some I should start correcting asap?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure. I do dose the ATI Essentials Pro but I haven't done an ICP to find out if anything is lacking in my tank.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the result of my first ICP test and have some trace elements at the low end:

Screenshot_20210514-142132_ReadEra.jpg

Buying and dosing each component will be both expensive and tedious.
Are there any recommended trace mixes that can be used instead?
Any of the elements I shouldn't worry about or some I should start correcting asap?
This is pretty much par for the course. Each tank consumes elements differently. I would suggest after you have established a history of ICP tests, determine how your tank consumes each of the elements and try to find a trace element mix that closely matches what elements your tank is consuming. For reference please see my last ICP results and what ATI recommends:

1621257012563.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much par for the course. Each tank consumes elements differently. I would suggest after you have established a history of ICP tests, determine how your tank consumes each of the elements and try to find a trace element mix that closely matches what elements your tank is consuming. For reference please see my last ICP results and what ATI recommends:

1621257012563.png
Thanks for the input.
I did find some additives that will compensate for most of the misding trace elements.
The recommendations doesn't make sense at all though.
For iodine, the recommended dosage and level would mean almost my tank (no matter how stocked) would consume all iodine daily at recommended levels. This would mean that any tank that does not dose iodine daily would have 0 iodine.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.
I did find some additives that will compensate for most of the misding trace elements.
The recommendations doesn't make sense at all though.
For iodine, the recommended dosage and level would mean almost my tank (no matter how stocked) would consume all iodine daily at recommended levels. This would mean that any tank that does not dose iodine daily would have 0 iodine.
Not really... this goes back to the history of icp tests that I mentioned. I shared a chart I made of all the ICP test I sent last year. Based on that chart I noticed my tank consumes about 5ML of iodine per month. Guess what... that's what I dose in my tank. Other trace elements I'm deficient on, I found a trace element mix that carries the majority of those elements and that's what I dose.

This chart represents 11 ICP test from 03/2020 - 03/2021

Of the 11 tests my tank consumed Iodine and Mangese the most (Every test required I dose those specific elements). I know my tank consumes these elements more than any other element...therefore I dose them individually, and I use the trace element mix to supplement the rest...with the understanding I may need to dose more or less depending on the ICP result.

1621290492586.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back