Dosing trace elements

JamesTh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I did a FM ICP test, and the results came back. I’m low on zinc, nickel, and a couple more, So I’ve gone ahead and bought some reef zlements trace elements.

Using the RZ online calculator it tells me what I need to dose, just as all the other suppliers do, I guess. It will tell me to dose a specific trace elements and also a corresponding ml amount, to achieve the required increase in that trace element. All good so far!

I guess I need to work out how fast these elements are being consumed, if so when should I do the two ICP tests, please? This i guess will give me the consumption rate of the different trace elements, and then I can work out how quickly they’re being consumed, and dose appropriately. Should these two ICP tests be a week, or a month apart?

As further background i typically do a 15% weekly water change, using TM Syn-biotic salt (pro-reef which includes bacteria), if that’s useful to know at all?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically water changes suffice to replenish trace elements however sometimes additional dosing is needed. A lot depends on what's in your salt brand. I would proceed slowly as indicated above so as not to overdose.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to collect lots of data, as you work towards increasing specific elements. Figuring out how quickly they are consumed & how much to dose to replenish said elements & how frequently to keep them stable. 2-3 weeks of data will give you a good picture of how elements move up & down.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back