Dosing tubes in water or above?

  • Thread starter Thread starter J Rog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
249
Location
Orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this maybe a dumb question but I have always had my dosing tubes for Alk, CA, and Mag in the sump under water.. Been doing it as long as I had it (2011).. But Im wondering if others keep there tubes under water or just above the water.. Is there a difference? I do notice after some time there is a little alk that hardens and blocks up the tube.. Im wondering if its because its being dispensed under water..
 
I keep mime above the water so that If something goes wrong they will not siphon the water out.
 
If my alk tube falls into the water, I see the alk precipitate a bit. Then it looks like the precip will actually move up the pipe. I do my best to keep them out of the water.

Back siphoning is a good reason to do that too...
 
I use to dose mine above the waterline. I would get a build up on my return pump.

Now, they are in my bubble trap in my sump (under water) I've found that I get less build up on my return pump
 
They should be out of the water. The reason is that you do not want tank water to enter the tubing and precipitate calcium carbonate in the high pH, high alk, or high calcium setting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new