Dosing/water change question

jbenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began dosing BRS 2 part alk/calc for 2 months now and am seeing good results. I haven’t done a water change since I started dosing and am now overdue.
I used to use Red Sea Coral Pro salt because it had a higher alk and I used it to replenish the alk in my tank. It wasn’t enough hence the dosing. Now that I am dosing I’m worried that using the same salt would throw my alk out of whack.
Should I switch to the Red Sea “blue bucket?
My parameters are good (0-nitrate, 0-phosphate) and am only doing a water change to replace the elements that I am not dosing.
125g bb display with a 30g sump. I test my water weekly.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you want to keep your alk level close to the salt. What do you keep it at?

Also, since you have 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (both not ideal), I would just dose a trace element supplement like tropic marin K and A or similar. It is cheaper in the long run and easier. I dose chaeto gro and a tiny tiny amount of red sea iodine,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jbenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you want to keep your alk level close to the salt. What do you keep it at?

Also, since you have 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (both not ideal), I would just dose a trace element supplement like tropic marin K and A or similar. It is cheaper in the long run and easier. I dose chaeto gro and a tiny tiny amount of red sea iodine,
I keep my alk at 8dkh. The Red Sea blue bucket says alk it 8dk at a salinity of 35sg. I keep my tank at 1.026. Not sure how the 2 numbers convert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jbenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Salifert test kits say 0 on both but my chaeto reactor is full and I’ve got algae in other places.

Upvote 1

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Salifert test kits say 0 on both but my chaeto reactor is full and I’ve got algae in other places.

I would just do a trace bottle then and space out the water changes further. It is cheaper, more effective, and less stressful. I dose chaetogro and a tiny bit of red sea iodine for my 75 gallon. This seems to work well for me but I am a bit picky with what I dose in terms of trace elements lol

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my alk at 8dkh. The Red Sea blue bucket says alk it 8dk at a salinity of 35sg. I keep my tank at 1.026. Not sure how the 2 numbers convert.

Ah yes then the blue bucket would be best. 35ppt is about 1.026 sg so you would be fine. That would mix it at 8KH.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back